Like Tree97Likes

Dependent visa, income requirement?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dear giant:
    Dominant in what sense?
    Martin Jacques: Understanding the rise of China - YouTube
    [snipped a whole bunch of rambling delusional thoughts]
    Err... Have you had a chat with any of those kids in a relaxed environment without any gawping Mainlanders around and asked them frankly what they actually think of China? Mostly, they're happy to GTFO when it's time to return to civilization
    Go on then, do the whole world a favour stop them from coming. Get them to leave quicker, they are making the biggest mistake of their lives afterall. What good is learning about China when you could be baking cookies and running around on grass

The fact is that actual, living, breathing Chinese people are running for the exits but you are talking the place up like a true believer.
    The fact is that actual living, breathing English, Australian, Canadian, European people are running for the exits. Go look it up, its well documented and its called freedom of movement. Better yet, look in the mirror. What are you doing here? Oh, you found better life so you left the comforts&discomforts of home. Some Chinese are doing exactly that, finding better opportunities and moving and that has nothing to do with the rise of Asia and China.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Martin Jacques: Understanding the rise of China - YouTube
    [snipped a whole bunch of rambling delusional thoughts]
    Go on then, do the whole world a favour stop them from coming. Get them to leave quicker, they are making the biggest mistake of their lives afterall. What good is learning about China when you could be baking cookies and running around on grass

The fact is that actual living, breathing English, Australian, Canadian, European people are running for the exits. Go look it up, its well documented and its called freedom of movement. Better yet, look in the mirror. What are you doing here? Oh, you found better life so you left the comforts&discomforts of home. Some Chinese are doing exactly that, finding better opportunities and moving and that has nothing to do with the rise of Asia and China.
    I'm getting the equivalent of hazard/hardship pay for being here. That goes for many expatriates.

Chinese emigres in Vanuatu are running convenience stores, working 12+ hours a day. [Obligatory note: that doesn't imply that they're dumb or didn't pay attention in how-to-be-a-laoban class in school -- but it goes to the heart of how highly motivated they must have been to abandon China.]

Can you honestly not see the difference?
    Last edited by dear giant; 03-06-2012 at 08:44 PM.

BBC News - Why are so many Britons leaving Australia?
    Can you not see that its irrelevant.

I'm waiting for you to comment on this : Martin Jacques: Understanding the rise of China - YouTube
    Note, it wasnt put out there by Chinese govt, has nothing to do with Govt issued GDP figures etc etc etc.

China is rising and will take over USA as the worlds biggest economy soon enough.
    I'm arguing that people (and students) come here and learn as it will benefit them.
    You are arguing that people should not and stay in their civilized countries as you have advised the OP to do.

BBC News - Why are so many Britons leaving Australia?
    Can you not see that its irrelevant.

I'm waiting for you to comment on this : Martin Jacques: Understanding the rise of China - YouTube
    Note, it wasnt put out there by Chinese govt, has nothing to do with Govt issued GDP figures etc etc etc.

China is rising and will take over USA as the worlds biggest economy soon enough.
    I'm arguing that people (and students) come here and learn as it will benefit them.
    You are arguing that people should not and stay in their civilized countries as you have advised the OP to do.
    The OP and her hubby are adults and they're rolling the dice and taking their chances. Bully for them.

I feel sympathetic towards their child, who is going to be taken out of a developed country and brought to a place like this through no fault of his own.

Quote Originally Posted by dear giant:
    The OP and her hubby are adults and they're rolling the dice and taking their chances. Bully for them.
    I applaud them and believe they are doing the right thing.
    I feel sympathetic towards their child, who is going to be taken out of a developed country and brought to a place like this through no fault of his own.
    When you have a few, you raise yours as you see fit with ovens and grass. There are plenty of others, like the OP and me who disagree with you.
    I've got 3, who hold Canadian and British passports but I'm forcing them thru a multi lingual education in Hong Kong. Keep your sympathy to yourself and no tears necessary.

You've said your peace and piece; now will you keep your promise from post #5 and zip it?
    carang likes this.

I get that your personal reality distortion field doesn't permit you to acknowledge any aspects of objective reality that conflict with some bar charts indicating that the total economic output of 1.5 billion people living in the real-world equivalent of Mordor will surpass the total economic output of a relatively free liberal democracy with a population of 0.3 billion sometime in the next decade, but .... if those bar charts don't make actual Chinese people who have any way of possibly escaping want to stay in China, why do you find them so convincing?

When and if China's GDP is hailed as being equal to that of the United States and Chinese people are still getting out as fast as they can and the place is still as thoroughly unpleasant as it is now, if not worse, you will be patting yourself on the back and still not getting it.

ok, boys... enough of the pissing contest.

hk/china is neither utopia nor is it the hell hole that DG portrays. as with most places it is somewhere in the middle.

now, back to your corners, take a breath and move on.

A reminder of your promise:

Now, a last appeal to reconsider your plans to move to HK. Whatever you decide, I do wish you and your family well. After this, I will leave you in peace.
    You're like a broken record; put a sock in it la.

I applaud them and believe they are doing the right thing.

When you have a few, you raise yours as you see fit with ovens and grass. There are plenty of others, like the OP and me who disagree with you.
    I've got 3, who hold Canadian and British passports but I'm forcing them thru a multi lingual education in Hong Kong. Keep your sympathy to yourself and no tears necessary.

You've said your peace and piece; now will you keep your promise from post #5 and zip it?
    When they grow up and if they try to make a life for themselves outside of HK and if they find that while their passports give them the right to get off a plane in a developed country, they never had the chance to grow up in one and they have to struggle twice as hard for every drop of success as people who actually grew up in those places, maybe they'll tell you and maybe they'll bite it back and eat their bitterness rather than disillusion you.

A reminder of your promise:

You're like a broken record; put a sock in it la.
    After that post, I have replied to other members' posts directed at me, including yous, so ... you know where the airport / close browser tab button is, right?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast