Petition of parents

Closed Thread

Petition of parents

Pls help. I'll be transferring to HK on Dec 3. With my working visa, can I petition my parents to stay with me for the duration of the validity of my visa.
    I'm a Filipino citizen. My mom is also a Filipino citizen while my father holds a Taiwan passport.
    Tnx for all the assistance.

Is this a wind-up or the beginning of another "Racism in Hong Kong rant?"

Where in the world does an employment visa extend to one's parents?

Thumbs down It doesn't work that way

You will not be able to "petition" your parents to stay with you whilst you're here. Please visit the immigration website for details.

Working visas normally extend only to the spouse and children but not other dependants you may have such as parents, siblings, aunts and uncles, you get the picture.

Unless you yourself become a permanent citizen (which happens after about 7 years of residency), then you can apply for a dependants visa for your parents (provided that they're over a certain age - i think it was 65 or something like that).

hope this helps

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tarabee:
    You will not be able to "petition" your parents to stay with you whilst you're here. Please visit the immigration website for details.

Working visas normally extend only to the spouse and children but not other dependants you may have such as parents, siblings, aunts and uncles, you get the picture.

Unless you yourself become a permanent citizen (which happens after about 7 years of residency), then you can apply for a dependants visa for your parents (provided that they're over a certain age - i think it was 65 or something like that).

hope this helps

really appreciate your immediate response. i'm a newbie in this forum. hope everybody is like you. you're very helpful.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tarabee:

hope this helps

really appreciate your immediate response. i'm a newbie in this forum. hope everybody is like you. you're very helpful.