Like Tree12Likes

Dependent visa for wife, 5 weeks and still waiting

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Is she Chinese or isn't she? If she has a Chinese passport, she's Chinese and actually then it's all HARDER.

If she has a, say, Filipina, passport, then she's a Filipina and will get treated the same as all the other Filipinas.
    She not holding Chinese passport, she's overseas Chinese (華僑), born in SE Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by hardeeshar:
    She not holding Chinese passport, she's overseas Chinese (華僑), born in SE Asia.
    Then I believe she is treated like any other overseas citizen and if holding a SE Asia passport, that's often not great. But if the marriage is genuine and all the papers are in order, you will get there in the end.

I would go down to the immigration department in Wanchai and speak to someone directly. I am a US citizen who is married to a HK resident and we had been living in the US for the past 11 years. I applied for HK residency as my wife's dependent and was in no rush for the 6 week wait. However, I wanted to urgently enroll in an intensive mandarin course at the university and they would not accept my enrollment unless I was a HK resident and the university suggested I get a student visa. I went to Wanchai and spoke to the immigration officer about the situation, would recommend being really nice and polite. These mid level government employees really run HK. At the end of the 10 minute conversation, she told me not to apply for the student visa and that she would expedite the dependent visa and would call my cell phone when the dependent visa was ready. The next morning she called and told me to come collect it. Bureaucracies can sometimes be really efficient

Technically your wife is a South East Asian by nationality. She is not Chinese as far as nationality is concerned, despite the fact that she is Chinese by ancestry.

I have a South East Asian passport and my QMAS visa label goes into that passport, same for my wife and kids. My brother is also on a South East Asian passport to when he married with a HK local resident. No dramas about having South East Asian passports and you won't get treated differently (as with the case of Singaporean and Malaysian). Marriage between Hong Kongers and South East Asian of Chinese descent are very common. If you have the papers in correct order, it is not much of a big deal and you shouldn't need to apply through agents.

Last edited by star-anise; 15-06-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Then I believe she is treated like any other overseas citizen and if holding a SE Asia passport, that's often not great. But if the marriage is genuine and all the papers are in order, you will get there in the end.
    Thanks MovingIn07, I will fight until the end! I hope its not take too long for the visa get approved. My wife when she know it maybe take extra 1 month or more, she really feel upset because her tourist visa will expired soon and she already did visa extension one time at Wanchai Immigration office, so we don't think they will grand extension again to her.

Quote Originally Posted by star-anise:
    Technically your wife is a South East Asian by nationality. She is not Chinese as far as nationality is concerned, despite the fact that she is Chinese by ancestry.

I have a South East Asian passport and my QMAS visa label goes into that passport, same for my wife and kids. My brother is also on a South East Asian passport to when he married with a HK local resident. No dramas about having South East Asian passports and you won't get treated differently (as with the case of Singaporean and Malaysian). Marriage between Hong Kongers and South East Asian of Chinese descent are very common. If you have the papers in correct order, it is not much of a big deal and you shouldn't need to apply through agents.
    Thanks for your advice, we will submit the documents they requested and hopefully Immd feel satisfied.

i have applied visa extension for my wife & she got visa the next week.

I just applied for my Wifes Dependant Visa on Friday (22-06). I have a question though. She can Enter HongKong with a visa on arrival, but can she stay in HK on that Visa (or go in/out of HK) with the confirmation letter from IMMD?

Or does she have to stay out of the country till its sorted?

She can arrive on a visitor visa and then exit and return to activate dependent visa. Most commonly a day-trip to Macau.

Yes, but she gets only 14days visit visa, and the visa process takes upto 4-6 weeks...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast