Like Tree3Likes

British governess job....visa problem?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool British governess job....visa problem?

I have been offered a job as a governess to two boys. The family say that they can't get the right information about my visa because they are not a company etc etc. Although I am allowed to come into HK for 6 months as an English Citizen without a visa, can anybody help me as to where I can obtain such information easily and clearly. And won't my employer be putting himself at risk as a Hong Kong citizen? Any help would be appreciated...!

There are British girls already working here legally with visas as nannies (personally met them as they came to me for first aid courses to refresh their CPR skills). Contact immigration as they will know the answer as they have already issued visas covering this situation.

If you are employed here you need an Employment Visa. If you enter as a visitor then it is illegal for you to take up employment until you have such a visa.

All of the information about Employment Visas is here: The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

Quote Originally Posted by kusbus:
    I have been offered a job as a governess to two boys. The family say that they can't get the right information about my visa because they are not a company etc etc. Although I am allowed to come into HK for 6 months as an English Citizen without a visa, can anybody help me as to where I can obtain such information easily and clearly. And won't my employer be putting himself at risk as a Hong Kong citizen? Any help would be appreciated...!
    You can check the Hong Kong Immigration Department website, information provided should give you an idea of what is needed to obtain your Visa to work here.

The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

Furthermore, just letting you know that even if you're granted a 6 month Visa waiver upon entering HK, you are not allowed to work.

Well first of all you'll be needing one of those time machines in order to go back to the 19th century which was the time when people had governesses. Once you have reached the 19th century don your best crinoline petticoat and your Sunday dress, walk past the fan-wallah and stride purposefully into the bamboo hut where the Immigration Under-Over-Officer works and explain the situation. He'll send a message to the colonial office in London on the next mail ship and 6 months later, voila! you shall have your answer.

Alternatively, your potential employer can pop in to Immigration Dept and ask how to apply for a visa for a nanny.

Last edited by dipper; 29-06-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    Trebor and elle like this.

Hahahahah dipper good one, I enjoyed that.

Was thinking the same thing until I delved into google and found:

"A British governess is a female employee of a family who teaches children within their home. In contrast to a nanny, nurse or a babysitter, she concentrates on teaching children, not their physical needs. Governess is in charge of school age children, not babies."

OK now I wonder how many governesses in Hong Kong might also be expected to taken on nanny duties. Hope OP has discussed this with the potential employer

Thanks so much. I'm now wondering why the family would demure at something which they know is a pre-requisite. Will it cost them a lot of money?

Thanks so much, I'll send it straight to the family. Any ideas why they would not want to arrange a visa for me?

Thanks Fiona, I've been a governess for a few years in other countries so have sorted out the 'duties' side of it. Besides, I need time to press my crinoline and instruct the post master about the words in my telegrams home.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

to get a work visa is very cheap but your employers will have to sporsor you and prove that no local could do the job.
    Also home schooling is illegal for locals (some minor exceptions for expats) so I struggle to see the role. Best ask about that if I were you.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks Mobile

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast