Like Tree5Likes

PR requirements

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The onus is on the applicant to prove seven years of residency. I believe these days ImmD need to see tax returns, rental receipts, leases, etc. ImmD can also check whether the applicant has actually stayed in Hong Kong or has had very long absences (2-3 months okay, 6-12 months not, stint in prison not). And then there is the declaration; I suppose a person could cross their fingers or something.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 19-07-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by User:
    You are wrong. You will not get ROA in HK if you don't ordinarily reside in HK for a continuous period of seven years.
    This is true, but if you hold CIES for 7 years then you will be granted Unconditional Right to Remain, which is similar (except you don't get the right to vote, your kids would not automatically get ROA if born here, and you could be deported for serious offences), regardless of whether you were actually resident during those 7 years.
    shafiq likes this.

User: You have mostly been very helpful and correct in immigration matters, but in this case I need to correct you.

Rules have changed. My xGF's mainland dad and two NYC American (non chinese) friends are now permanent residents and they have never spent more than 30 days in a year in HK. In my last year before I applied for PR, I was also out of the country for more than 50% of the time.

The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department
    click on Rules for the Capital Investment Entrant Scheme ( pdf format )

Read id(e)968.pdf page 22 section 8.5

Some Entrants may not be able to fulfill the continuous ordinary residence requirement even after satisfying the Permissible investment asset requirements under the Scheme for 7 years, e.g. they may have incurred periods of prolonged absence from Hong Kong which prevent continuous residence. In recognition of the contribution the Entrants have made to the local economy through investing in these Permissible investment assets in Hong Kong for at least 7 years, they may apply for and if granted obtain unconditional stay

The only time you have to spend in HK is when you apply for CIES and pick up your HK id and when you submit the ROP145. Even the 2 year visa renews can be done outside of HK.

@Gruntfuttock had already mentioned this. If he applied CIES and cannot satisfy the residency requirement he can get unconditional stay and not ROA/RTL

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Why go through all that bother for Hong Kong residency if you don't want to live here?

MovingIn07 likes this.

shafiq, I did get ROA with *** despite being not ordinarily resident in my last year and same for my xGF's dad who was not ordinarily resident for 7 years. But I assume it's two different rules, one for chinese nationals and one for others.

Unconditional stay is not the same as ROA. What does your HKID card say? Does it say "Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card" or "Hong Kong Identity Card", does is say "Holder has the right of abode in Hong Kong" on the back, and does it have the synbol U or the code A on the front?

The *** is unrelated to either the right of abode or the unconditional stay.

Better passport

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Why go through all that bother for Hong Kong residency if you don't want to live here?
    For people from China, Macau, and Taiwan, the HK passport is a far superior travel document.

My NYC friends both already own assets here and paying an immigration consultant 25k HKD to get an HK ID and permanent residency is definitely worth it. It gives them a cheap option to naturalize to as HK citizens once they renounce their US citizenship.

Please don't flame me about this US citizenship thing. I have lots of friends who are thinking of doing this, are already in the process, or have already done it. Some of these people are white folks who were BORN in the USA.

It says Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card with ***AO on the front
    and on the back
    The holder of this card has the right of abode in Hong Kong

But I was born in Taiwan and my XGF's dad was born in China. So you might be right for non chinese.

Strange - the rules are quite clear on the ImmD site. Perhaps their interpretation of "ordinarily resident" is different from yours.