Helper Visa from Singapore

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helper Visa from Singapore

Hi We are relocating to HK and we want to bring our helper from Singapore. Do we need to do this in HK or can this be done in Singapore? Also can she be in HK on a tourist visa for 30 days and then back in Indonesia while waiting for the remailder 2 weeks? I would appreciate any help in this matter. Thank you

You have to use an agency approved by the Indonesian Consulate in HK to apply her domestic helper visa, and pay their charges. Yes she can come on the tourist visa and make the application and then go back home and wait for the visa approval. Normal time 4-6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer:
    You have to use an agency approved by the Indonesian Consulate in HK to apply her domestic helper visa, and pay their charges. Yes she can come on the tourist visa and make the application and then go back home and wait for the visa approval. Normal time 4-6 weeks.
    Thanks for your help.

Unless she is a real gem I wouldn't bother. I did this last year with my Filipina maid and it was a total pain in the rear end. The processing (through an agency) took 11 weeks - which she had to spend out of the country. Put it this way, I wouldn't do it again.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

wkol, please also make sure you are aware of the laws regarding employing an FDH in Hong Kong as they differ from those in Singapore, e.g. minimum salary, rest days.

We have lived in HK before and she is a real gem, I have had so many helpers and issues before that I don't want to go thru again.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Costs

Normally the agents charge between HK$2,000-3000/ for doing all the paperwork with the Indonesian Consulate. After that the contract is submitted to the Immigration Department.
    Normally they take 4-6 weeks. But there are times they can process faster, if you push them and have a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by wkol:
    We have lived in HK before and she is a real gem, I have had so many helpers and issues before that I don't want to go thru again.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Hi
    I applied for my helper while we were still in Singapore. Once you get a HKID and a proof of permanent address, you can start the visa application process. We used an agency in HK with a working relationship with one in Singapore (Lucky Plaza), paid about HKD3000 in HK to the agent in HK and SGD300 to the agent in Singapore. Thereafter, the visa application took about 6-8 weeks.
    While in HK, we applied for an extension of her stay (extended by 2 weeks). Had to go to wanchai to do this. At the same time, chase the domestic helper department to hurry!
    Then once the visa was approved, she took a ferry to macau and came back in to activate the visa on the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by wkol:
    Hi We are relocating to HK and we want to bring our helper from Singapore. Do we need to do this in HK or can this be done in Singapore? Also can she be in HK on a tourist visa for 30 days and then back in Indonesia while waiting for the remailder 2 weeks? I would appreciate any help in this matter. Thank you

I used this agency

Contact Us
    Great Possession Employment Agency (Hong Kong Office)
    Address: Shop No.4, G/F Chit Lee Comm. Bldg., 30-36 Shau Kei Wan Road, Sai Wan Ho.
    Telephone: 2117 8119
    Fax: 2513 8773
    Email: [email protected]
    Great Possession Employment Agency (Kowloon Office)
    Address: Shop No. 120, Level 5, Sceneway Plaza,
    Lam Tin.
    Telephone: 2117 4133
    Fax: 3188 9443
    Email: [email protected]

Useful Phone
    Phone Fax
    Immigration Department 2824 6111 2824 1133
    Labour Department 2717 1771
    Indonesian Consulate 2890 4421
    Philippines Consulate 2823 8545 2866 6975

wepossess.com.hk

Re Zergmei's advice - my helper was literally yelled at when we tried to get an extension for her tourist visa when we first arrived - we'd been told by someone that she could come with us and wait here for a visa. I had to intervene as I was shocked at the demeanour of the officer. She also is not supposed to be working on that visa.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast