Like Tree1Likes

Symbols on HKID?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Symbols on HKID?

I was looking at my HKID and it has the symbols of ***AMX, I know what A and X meant but I can't find anything on M, even on the HK immigration website. Does anyone know what the M means?

Thanks!

Woodpecker

Quote Originally Posted by Woodpecker:
    I was looking at my HKID and it has the symbols of ***AMX, I know what A and X meant but I can't find anything on M, even on the HK immigration website. Does anyone know what the M means?

Thanks!

Woodpecker
    Did you just get your temporary paper ID ? Because when I got mine , it said RMO. I'd only assume that the M stands for Male. When you get your actual card , it will just say ***AX.

> I know what A and X meant but

So what do A and X mean?

imparanoic likes this.

Aritaurus, yes, the symbols are from my temporary paper and not my actual HKID. When I pick up my HKID in couple of weeks, it should be ***AX.

Jgl, A=right of abode X=born in the mainland.

Thanks!

Woodpecker

what does the lettr P means?.. my wife's id start at P0xxxxx(x)

The letter at the beginning of the HKID number normally has no meaning at all: it's just part of the number. The "symbols" referred to in the link above are those in the area labelled "Symbols" in the diagram.

The only exception to this is that Imported Labour and FDH Visa holders who arrived after December 1995 can be identified by a HKID number starting with "W". See Q7 here: http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/topical_8.htm
    Otherwise, your HKID number is yours for life even if your immigration status changes (e.g. you get PR after 7 years).

Quote Originally Posted by jim5130:
    what does the lettr P means?.. my wife's id start at P0xxxxx(x)
    My immigration officer told me that the 'P' was because I was a dependent... maybe he was lying?

Sigga : not lying .. and not entirely correct either. P seems to indicate some sort of overseas connection. My visa was an employment visa and I have a "P" on my ID.

I recall the mid-wife giving me some info when our son was born. She recognized that my wife was born in HK by looking at the prefix of her ID number and that I was not by looking at my number... Could be all speculation....

He was obviously mistaken. My HKID starts with P - it was that way when I was on an Employment Visa and it stayed that way when I got PR.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast