Like Tree9Likes

HK permanent residency not actually permanent and case law

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Does anyone have any info on the court case in HK in regards to permanent residency being lost after 3 years? I'm looking for a case number and/or the name of the case.

It's more of a curiosity than anything. Like I said, I am applying to be a naturalized Chinese national plus HK is my permanent home as it is.

Also yeah I do agree that HK by far has the smoothest immigration and naturalization process out there.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    No different to many other nations. Many HK'ers come back every 3 years to get renew their residency but live elsewhere.
    Just to clarify; Chinese don't need to do this. Only non Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by markbradley:
    Does anyone have any info on the court case in HK in regards to permanent residency being lost after 3 years? I'm looking for a case number and/or the name of the case.
    Never heard of this. I guess the only reason someone would take it to court would be to get ROA for kids born here, but even that seems a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Can non Ethnic Chinese in China get Chinese citizenship?
    Alan Zeman (LKF / Ocean Park guy) is a PRC citizen.

I assume that pin meant in Mainland China...

In Hong Kong there are many non-ethnic-Chinese citizens; some genetically Caucasian, some genetically South Asian, and probably some other ethnicities as well.

dear giant likes this.

Just to clarify; Chinese don't need to do this. Only non Chinese.
    I've Chinese friends whom come back to HK every 3 years for this but non Chinese may have to do the same. Really not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    I've Chinese friends whom come back to HK every 3 years for this but non Chinese may have to do the same. Really not sure.
    Chinese NATIONALS with HK PR cant lose ROA -

just because you are ethnic chinese doesnt mean you are a chinese national - ABC, BBC, CBC etc are quite likely to not be Chinese Nationals, only ethnically chinese

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    I assume that pin meant in Mainland China...

In Hong Kong there are many non-ethnic-Chinese citizens; some genetically Caucasian, some genetically South Asian, and probably some other ethnicities as well.
    Yep, sorry, I mean the Mainland.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by carbacca:
    Chinese NATIONALS with HK PR cant lose ROA -

just because you are ethnic chinese doesnt mean you are a chinese national - ABC, BBC, CBC etc are quite likely to not be Chinese Nationals, only ethnically chinese
    Yeah I wouldn't remember. I think they return for ID card? Not sure.

OK I will shut up now.....

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Do you have any further details of the case?