Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Oldtimer

Where to obtain an official translation of my German birth certificate for Chinese naturalization?

Closed Thread

Question Where to obtain an official translation of my German birth certificate for Chinese naturalization?

I am in the process of naturalizing to become a Chinese national. I have a German birth certificate and I need to obtain an official translation to English for the HK immigration department.

I have heard this can be done in the German consulate. Is this true? Are there any other approved organizations that can provide an official translation and would they be faster in offering it?

I would like to have this done ASAP so I can move forward with my naturalization. I greatly appreciate the help!

Remembering that it has to be a translation by a properly accredited translator, not just any old version, the other obvious place to check would be the Goethe Institut.

If the queue is shorter for whichever translators are available, remember that a translation to Chinese instead of English will be equally acceptable to the SAR government.

Did the immigration ask you to submit your birth certificate for the naturalization process?
    I don't recall that they asked for this but maybe I'm wrong.
    If they asked, it can be done in the consulate as it should be notarized by your government.
    I believe if a translation is needed, it will be from German to English, not to Chinese language.

Last edited by notnewinhk; 01-09-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by notnewinhk:
    Did the immigration ask you to submit your birth certificate for the naturalization process?
    I don't recall that they asked for this but maybe I'm wrong.
    If they asked, it can be done in the consulate as it should be notarized by your government.
    I believe if a translation is needed, it will be from German to English, not to Chinese language.
    Yes the immigration officer asked me of this.

So how should I engage the German consulate on this? I do not speak German and I am not a German national. I just happened to be born in Germany.

Consulate

Visit the Consulate and ask for the translation and pay their fees.

Quote Originally Posted by markbradley:
    Yes the immigration officer asked me of this.

So how should I engage the German consulate on this? I do not speak German and I am not a German national. I just happened to be born in Germany.
    pepe77 likes this.

Shop around, there are a few that can do certified translations, Immigration is usually happy with that and does not req any specific agency. The people at the consulate surely speak English. Or check their website.

Call the consulat. Tell them your need. They should be able to point out a few accredited translaters.

This is how I got my Immd docs translated.