Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By penguinsix

China tourist visa obtained in Hong Kong for non-Hong Kong residents: UPDATED

Closed Thread

China tourist visa obtained in Hong Kong for non-Hong Kong residents: UPDATED

Hi

It seems the issue of 'can I get a tourist visa for China while in Hong Kong as a tourist' is one that has been frequently discussed not only here but on other travel websites. Generally the answer has been "It depends. On paper, no, but in practice, maybe". The rule has always been "apply in your country of residence" but the reality has been some people have gotten them, some have not when applying here in Hong Kong.

Well today I was down at the "embassy" in Wanchai and I finally just decided to ask a few of the people working there: Can a tourist to Hong Kong, who is not a resident in Hong Kong, get a Chinese tourist visa in Hong Kong?

The answer was "it depends".

I said "on what?"

"The passport of the person applying. What passport?"

I said "US and UK."

"How old?"

"25" (just a random number I could think of being about a tourists age.

"Oh, that would be no problem. So long as they are over 18. US or UK--no problem. They will need to fill out the supplemental visa application form that deals with applying for a visa in a country that is not your nationality".

Was tempted to go down the list of other countries but didn't have time.

So, as of today, Sept 6, 2012 at 10:45 am, if you are a US or a UK tourist over 18 visiting Hong Kong as a tourist, you can go to the 'embassy' in Wanchai to apply for a China visa. You do not need to do it in your home country.

As always, my advice would be if you can get it in your home country, please try to do so. The rules change depending on a myriad of things from the Dali Lama visiting a country to the position of an aircraft carrier battle group in the South China Sea, so it's really best to plan ahead.

But as of this moment, it seems to be working.

Last edited by penguinsix; 06-09-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    HowardCoombs and Satay Sue like this.

Why 18, do you think? Presumably a family with kids would be alright?

Last edited by Satay Sue; 06-09-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:
    Hi

It seems the issue of 'can I get a tourist visa for China while in Hong Kong as a tourist' is one that has been frequently discussed not only here but on other travel websites. Generally the answer has been "It depends. On paper, no, but in practice, maybe". The rule has always been "apply in your country of residence" but the reality has been some people have gotten them, some have not when applying here in Hong Kong.

Well today I was down at the "embassy" in Wanchai and I finally just decided to ask a few of the people working there: Can a tourist to Hong Kong, who is not a resident in Hong Kong, get a Chinese tourist visa in Hong Kong?

The answer was "it depends".

I said "on what?"

"The passport of the person applying. What passport?"

I said "US and UK."

"How old?"

"25" (just a random number I could think of being about a tourists age.

"Oh, that would be no problem. So long as they are over 18. US or UK--no problem. They will need to fill out the supplemental visa application form that deals with applying for a visa in a country that is not your nationality".

Was tempted to go down the list of other countries but didn't have time.

So, as of today, Sept 6, 2012 at 10:45 am, if you are a US or a UK tourist over 18 visiting Hong Kong as a tourist, you can go to the 'embassy' in Wanchai to apply for a China visa. You do not need to do it in your home country.

As always, my advice would be if you can get it in your home country, please try to do so. The rules change depending on a myriad of things from the Dali Lama visiting a country to the position of an aircraft carrier battle group in the South China Sea, so it's really best to plan ahead.

But as of this moment, it seems to be working.
    Wait till you get the approval of the visa and it is issued and stamped on your passport. The embassy is notorious for accepting applications but not necessarily approving all. Be careful...

If you are not from France you you will do just fine.....