Like Tree5Likes

Can I get my baby son a Hong Kong Permanent ID

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I believe that if you or your wife were not US citizens at the time of your child's birth, your child would be entitled to ROA (right of abode). The exception is if your child was born before 1997 and your child has returned to HK before 2000 to establish ROA.

Being in HK for 90 days in a year would not count as being ordinarily resident. Immigration has records of entry and departure and would easily have access to this information.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg11:
    It's about giving him options. I'm just not sure how to value this options yet. Someone asked in a previous post about putting him there on a dependent visa like 90 days out of a year (summer) for 7 years and whether that would count as 7 years, but that question wasn't answered.

I'm not too keen on US's future with its huge deficit that will eventually mean ridiculous taxes and no jobs for youth like a lot European countries.

Now, the reason why i asked the original question is because there seems to be a small number of successful cases online with similar background to me but was able to get their kids the id. I'm trying to locate one online and get some advice if they were successful. Thank you all.
    90 days during summer holidays is not living in HK, will not count , he/she will have to live here for seven years, cases that had been sucessful are the ones born before 97 simple as that ( the last generation who were lucky to get HKid without being born in HK)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ:
    I believe that if you or your wife were not US citizens at the time of your child's birth, your child would be entitled to ROA (right of abode). The exception is if your child was born before 1997 and your child has returned to HK before 2000 to establish ROA.

Being in HK for 90 days in a year would not count as being ordinarily resident. Immigration has records of entry and departure and would easily have access to this information.
    We are both citizens so that's obviously out of the questions. Interesting thing is that I got my ROA by returning to HK before 2000. I did the "summer vacation" method myself for two of the seven years, but that was back in the days of bad record keeping. I doubt that will work now.

if your ordinary residence is hk (your parents live here and are residents) and you go overseas to attend school, but still return during holidays, then yes.... you will be granted PR.

We are both citizens so that's obviously out of the questions. Interesting thing is that I got my ROA by returning to HK before 2000. I did the "summer vacation" method myself for two of the seven years, but that was back in the days of bad record keeping. I doubt that will work now.
    Why would you need to be resident here for seven years if you already have ***? If you had ***, you would have had to been born in HK to Chinese/HK parents, in which case you would not need to stay here for seven years for your ROA.
    carang likes this.

thanks... i've been confused about that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ:
    Why would you need to be resident here for seven years if you already have ***? If you had ***, you would have had to been born in HK to Chinese/HK parents, in which case you would not need to stay here for seven years for your ROA.
    That I don't know. I know I have *** but I know I stayed in Hong Kong specifically for a year prior to me coming to the US back in the early 1990s. I thought *** simply mean you are a chinese citizen.

That I don't know. I know I have *** but I know I stayed in Hong Kong specifically for a year prior to me coming to the US back in the early 1990s. I thought *** simply mean you are a chinese citizen.
    did you just turn 18 during the early 90's, thus, obtaining ***

It's extremely weird to me that a British lady in her 50's is able to get the RTL in Hong Kong due to the fact that she was married (and maybe divorced) another British 'Hong Kong Belonger' in the 1980's but that a Hong Kong family's kids have no status whatsoever.

I think it's pretty much a mish mash of the extremely liberal old British laws to the tightened laws in 1983? and then the post 97 laws mixed in with some transitional arrangements and having PR and Unconditional stay and so on mixed in with Chinese Citizenship.

Much better for the kids to be born in HK as they could easily get 2-3 passports with easy access to China and so on.

no one can predict the world in 20 years. it would be a great loss for the parents to lose out on 7 precious years of their childs life.