Like Tree5Likes

Can I get my baby son a Hong Kong Permanent ID

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    no one can predict the world in 20 years. it would be a great loss for the parents to lose out on 7 precious years of their childs life.
    Yes, I totally agree. Which is why if we were to do it, the most likely way we will do it is to move there altogether. We would still like to know the options so we make the best choice. Obviously the easier the process the better thus if it is possible to do it via couple of trips back home (we still have a lot of relative in HK), we'll be doing it that way.

Hello everyone,
    I was searching for some info about the BNO passport and saw this forum with an interesting section about immigration and visas.
    Me and my wife were both born in hk and got the permanent hk citizen status. While I was searching about the real meaning of the *** symbols on the idcard, I have read in wikipedia that it doesn't mean that your status is permanent. It only means that you are 18+.
    Anyway back on topic, in 2010 I tried to get an hkid for my 1yr old son (born abroad). I've filled in the VEPIC, send all the documents and the result was that he wasn't eligible for a hkid.
    The reason is that me and my wife both already got a foreign nationality before my son was born.

Later I've heard there is a travel agency in Tai Po, can help overseas chinese to aquire a PIC. The cost is around 800HKD, they ask you some questions and already know do you have a chance or not. They help you to fill in the forms and gather the necessary documents. There was cases known that if you have a certain amount of money on the bank in HK or any property worth X HKD, there is a chance that you can aquire PIC for your offsprings. But couple of weeks ago when my brother called that agency, they told my brother the rules has changed. Now you need to have at least 8 digits! of money investments (properties won't counted anymore) in HK to make a chance.
    So I'm waiting for the next change in the rules and try again to aquire PIC for my kid.

I've learned that there are many stories and cases about aquiring PIC. Some of them have luck and there are examples which I can't find anything about it on internet.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ:
    Why would you need to be resident here for seven years if you already have ***? If you had ***, you would have had to been born in HK to Chinese/HK parents, in which case you would not need to stay here for seven years for your ROA.
    I've heard from someone who has a PIC with *** need to go back to HK every 3 yrs. This was confirmed by 2 employees at the government office.
    Last edited by davidbowie; 20-09-2012 at 06:14 PM.

having money in the bank doesn't guarantee you PIC. it allows you a visa to live in hk.... once you & your son live here for 7 years, then you can apply for a PIC for him.

Quote Originally Posted by davidbowie:
    I've heard from someone who has a PIC with *** need to go back to HK every 3 yrs. This was confirmed by 2 employees at the government office.
    Then those employees were mistaken.

a person who "earns" their PIC by living here for 7 years must come back every 3 years. a person who was born with ROA does not need to come back every 3 years.

you seem to be getting wrong information. i think you are not asking clear and concise questions.

Claire ex-ax and imparanoic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    a person who "earns" their PIC by living here for 7 years must come back every 3 years. a person who was born with ROA does not need to come back every 3 years.
    Is this only for ethnically Chinese people? My partner is Hong Kong born but he still needed to return every three years to retain his status. He's not Chinese.

Are the two issues of ROA and Right to Land being confused? Because I think he could still claim RtL if he didn't return frequently enough.

I looked it up (http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immig...faqroa.htm#/q4). If you're not Chinese, you can certainly lose your ROA, even if you're born in HK. In fact, it seems like when you turn 21 you automatically lose your PR if you're not Chinese and have to earn it yourself or plead your case for why you should still have PR.

The differentiating factor is whether you are a Chinese citizen of HK. If you are (either from birth or by naturalization) then you get an ROA that never expires (unless you renounce your Chinese citizenship). If you acquired your (adult) ROA as a non-citizen through 7 years residence then you need to touch base in HK every 3 years to retain it. If you do not then you are downgraded to RTL.

carang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    The differentiating factor is whether you are a Chinese citizen of HK. If you are (either from birth or by naturalization) then you get an ROA that never expires (unless you renounce your Chinese citizenship). If you acquired your (adult) ROA as a non-citizen through 7 years residence then you need to touch base in HK every 3 years to retain it. If you do not then you are downgraded to RTL.
    That pretty much confirms why I have no problem obtaining the new id couple of years back after a 6 year absence.

If your son was born in the US 1) after you (or your wife) had acquired ROA in HK AND 2) before you (or your wife) settled out of China, he is eligible for an HKPIC. Otherwise he is ineligible for an HKPIC before he ordinarily resides in HK for a continuous period of seven years.

He can get HKPIC in the US (through a PRC consul) if he is eligible for an HKPIC.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg11:
    I want to know if it is possible for me to apply for the HK PIC for my US born son. And I want to know if it is possible to do it in US.

background:

Both wife and I are US citizens since 8 years ago. We both have HK PIC from living in HK for over 7 years. We currently resides in US but are planning to go back to HK at some point in the future. Our HKSAR passports have expired so that's another question as well, which is whether we can replace those given we held US passports also.

I have read the govHK website extensively but still getting conflicting answers.

I have filled out:

ID844n = form for passport
    ROP845(I) = processing form for consulate
    ROP144 = form for permanent ID
    ID641n = form for countersigning since he is under 16 and doesn't have any photo identification that they requested
    ID853n = fee payment form

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4