Like Tree13Likes

QMAS 24th Selection Exercise - got in... finally.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jodvova:
    paroxyst, also another question.

How did you deal with an original of a certified transcript of academic record ? Did you have to translate it to english as well ?

I'm confused, because QMAS guidance notes say it should be sent in a sealed envelope by the institution, but for example in my case this won't be in english.
    Yes, this was a hassle

Basically I asked for the documents from my college in the original language. I then had these translated and sent them back to my college who reviewed the translation, stamped and signed them and put them in the sealed envelope for me. The whole procedure took a few weeks (if not months), but I do not see how you would otherwise go about it.

Good luck!

Just an update.

I now received my Approval in Principle letter dated 15 September 2012. So they seem to be working pretty quickly these days.

Now I have to scramble to get a certificate of no criminal conviction from three countries. As an added complication the Immigration Department requires a certificate from the Public Security Bureau in China, while I lived in HK before and no such bureau exists in HK. I think they made a mistake, anyone else had this experience?

The stress never stops with QMAS!

Quote Originally Posted by star-anise:
    Congratulations for making the mark. Join the club!
    Thanks Star-Anise, and thanks for your help!

If you haven't lived in China then there should be no need for the doc from the PSB. For Hong Kong, you can apply for the cert of no criminal conviction from the police HQ in Wanchai. You'll need to show your AIP letter and they will send the cert direct to Immg.

Did you put China on your form as one of the places you had lived rather than HK? If so someone has probably taken it at face value.

paroxyst likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paroxyst:
    Thanks Star-Anise, and thanks for your help!
    No worries! It is always good to hear another 'colleague' receiving the AIP!

We should organise a drinkie session once you have settled down in HK. I won't be there until the end of this year! When are you planning to move there?

Hope your interview in HK goes well. Actually, just a matter of bringing all documents to see your case office and there won't be an interrogation or anything like that. Simply present the docs and they study it in detail (probably checking all the watermarks and authenticity) and give it back to you with a letter of approval at the same time.

Like AIP said, if you haven't live in China (for more than 12 months?) you shouldn't be required to seek criminal clearance from the PSB.
    Last edited by star-anise; 01-10-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    paroxyst likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AIP:
    If you haven't lived in China then there should be no need for the doc from the PSB. For Hong Kong, you can apply for the cert of no criminal conviction from the police HQ in Wanchai. You'll need to show your AIP letter and they will send the cert direct to Immg.

Did you put China on your form as one of the places you had lived rather than HK? If so someone has probably taken it at face value.
    Thanks AIP, that's what I thought. In my overview of places I lived I quite clearly stated Hong Kong, on my list of work experience I put "Hong Kong, PRC". Maybe adding the PRC on the latter led to confusion, still it seems like a strange mistake to make.

On the plus side, if they have made the error, maybe (big maybe) this would allow me to come for the interview a little later than the normal 3-month timeframe. Just getting the certificates of no criminal conviction from 3 countries is a headache already, right now I am already stuck with my local police force not wanting to take my fingerprints for my overseas certificate application...

Quote Originally Posted by star-anise:
    No worries! It is always good to hear another 'colleague' receiving the AIP!

We should organise a drinkie session once you have settled down in HK. I won't be there until the end of this year! When are you planning to move there?

Hope your interview in HK goes well. Actually, just a matter of bringing all documents to see your case office and there won't be an interrogation or anything like that. Simply present the docs and they study it in detail (probably checking all the watermarks and authenticity) and give it back to you with a letter of approval at the same time.

Like AIP said, if you haven't live in China (for more than 12 months?) you shouldn't be required to seek criminal clearance from the PSB.
    Hi Star-Anise,

I will be there sometime in December passing through and doing the interview, and then sometime early 2013 to settle in. Definitely up for a drink whenever, I owe you one

Trust that you have communicated with your case officer about setting up an interview date. Normally they are comfortable with a 3 month window. Or if you have good excuses, they can accommodate interview within 6 months of your AIP letter's date.

All the best. Okay, will definitely catch up for drinks

Quote Originally Posted by paroxyst:
    Yes, this was a hassle

Basically I asked for the documents from my college in the original language. I then had these translated and sent them back to my college who reviewed the translation, stamped and signed them and put them in the sealed envelope for me. The whole procedure took a few weeks (if not months), but I do not see how you would otherwise go about it.

Good luck!

Thanks! That's what I thought doing in the end myself.

paroxyst,

How many points did you claim in Language Proficiency ?

I just want to double check that I interpret the guidance notes correctly, so that if one is a non native English speaker and doesn't speak any Chinese he/she can claim 15 points there.

Native non English language + written and spoken English

right ?