US/Taiwan Citizen working in HKG

Closed Thread

US/Taiwan Citizen working in HKG

Hi.

I am a dual citizen of both the US and Taiwan and my company would like to send me to HKG. I am wondering if you can provide me with information as to the advantages/disadvantages of using either citizenship status to work in HKG? Also, am I able to use my Taiwan citizenship to work locally in HKG - if so, what is the process I would have to go through?

Thanks!

It makes no difference which passport you use, you still need to jump through plenty of hoops to secure an employment visa in Hong Kong.

If you were originally a Chinese citizen and acquired US citizenship when you had settled abroard, you might have lost Chinese citizhenship according to mainland China's laws.

Thanks for the information. Do either of you know how income tax will work with either citizenship? For example, if I use Tawian citizenship, will I have to pay Taiwan income tax in addition to Hong Kong tax? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qvp:
    Thanks for the information. Do either of you know how income tax will work with either citizenship? For example, if I use Tawian citizenship, will I have to pay Taiwan income tax in addition to Hong Kong tax? Thanks
    Taiwanese citizenship does not exist in china.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks Mobile

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by qvp:
    As far as I know the US is the only country that taxes global earnings. As a Taiwanese you should know whether Taiwan does as the US because, if it were so, you would have paid Taiwan tax while working in the US.

Certainly if you work in Hong Kong, you'll pay Hong Kong tax and, as a US citizenship and if you earn enough, you'll pay US tax. But you have to pay tax to Uncle Sam no matter where you work (again depending on $$ earned).

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    But you have to pay tax to Uncle Sam no matter where you work (again depending on $$ earned).
    And to answer your point, it won't matter what passport you enter HK on, if you are american uncle sam will tax you.

But the amount of income that is US income tax exempted is quite generous, I think it's 100k

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    As far as I know the US is the only country that taxes global earnings.
    Don't forget about Eritrea - although the tax rate on foreign earned income is much lower i think.