Like Tree20Likes

Got fired -can we still stay on a tourist visa

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by PSMaverick:
    Not true. Once the employer informs the immigration of the termination of employment (the last day of employment to be exact) he has 14 more days to stay in HK.

in times like these we need PDLM!
    I didn't have a problem staying in HK for a year after I resigned. My employment visa was valid for 1 year after I stopped working and I came in and out of the country without any issues whatsoever. Inland Revenue (not Immigration per se) was informed as my ex-employer completed an IR56 form. When my employment visa expired, I then entered the country on a 180 day tourist visa! During this time I found a new job ;-)
    sammy243 likes this.

it maybe depends on the nationality ? british can stay untill the end of their visa even if they resigned or got fired, other countries like Indian may not ? or depends on the job you had ? if you were a trader Immigration can assume you saved money, in some other area no ?

Quote Originally Posted by sammy243:
    it maybe depends on the nationality ? british can stay untill the end of their visa even if they resigned or got fired, other countries like Indian may not ? or depends on the job you had ? if you were a trader Immigration can assume you saved money, in some other area no ?
    Surely an employment visa is an employment visa regardless of nationality.
    elliee likes this.

This is one area where all nationalities are treated equally.

this is what i d like to think as well, but how to explain PSmaverick's case then, where the Indian guy, with an employment visa, got 2 weeks to leave the country after he got fired ?

this is what i d like to think as well, but how to explain PSmaverick's case then, where the Indian guy, with an employment visa, got 2 weeks to leave the country after he got fired ?
    HIs visa probably expired in two weeks anyway.

true, no luck to get fired 2 weeks before the end of his visa, he should have resigned 6 months before to have more time to find a new job!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    HIs visa probably expired in two weeks anyway.
    Nope, his visa was valid much longer. The only explanation I can figure is like someone mentioned earlier that the officer assumed his was a SLS (imported worker) visa.

When a foreign worker comes to work in Hong Kong on a visa sponsored by an employer, what happens if that worker is terminated but still has extensive time left on their work visa?

The answer direct from the Chief Immigration Officer's office can be found here.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6