visa for work

Closed Thread

visa for work

I am married to a Permanant resident of hongkong. She wants to return to work in Hongkong next year. I myself am a UK resident and was wondering if anyone knows if i will be able to work over there as well

thanks

If you are married to a Hong Kong citizen, as her husband, you can get an Hong Kong ID, which will permit you to work. You will still need to renew your visa at times, but the ID will permit you to work here.

Others on GEO may have more advice.

Er, well it's your Dependant Visa which will allow you to work. A non-permanent HKID doesn't, per se, allow you to do anything.

But the effect is the same - yes, you will be able to apply for a Dependant Visa and you will be able to work, study, whatever, freely.

thanks guys for replying.

Do these visas take along time? i guess i should get one before i go over as opposed to get one when i get there.

You can apply before you come (they take 2-10+ weeks depending on how straightforward the case is), but your sponsor (wife) does need to be able to provide evidence that she will be able to provide accommodation and financial support for you in Hong Kong. Unless you are very wealthy this may be tricky until she has moved here, secured accommodation and a job. Once she has then your Dependant Visa will probably be granted in 4 or 5 weeks, maybe even quicker.