Get HK ID and China ID for HK born?

Closed Thread

Get HK ID and China ID for HK born?

Well, I'm HK born but have a US passport and haven't been back for 20+ years when I was 7. Recently, went back to my wife and realized that how great Hong Kong is.

I didn't apply for a HK ID yet, and applying chinese visa is long, painful, and costly. There's a Chinese Embassy in here in NYC and I am planning to apply for a HK ID. I was wondering if I can apply for a China ID too so I can save the expense of the arduous of getting a chinese visa when I visit China. Thanks.

If by "China ID" you mean a "home return permit" (the thing that allows vsa-free access to China) then I think you would need to get you HKID first, and if that is granted with "***" (which, approximately, means that you are a Chinese Citizen) then you can get the permit.

Alternatively, you can get multi-entry visas in Hong Kong very easily and quickly (although still a bit expensive for UK passport holders).

oops - I meant "US Passport Holders" in the above, obviously (though UK isn't cheap either).

That's what my wife tells me to do, apply for the HK id first then the "home return permit." In any case, thanks, at least I know what it is called.

Went to the Chinese Embassy the other day and I can't just apply apply for the HK ID alone and I am required to apply for the HK passport also. I am required to have 5 passport photos, $62 US money order from a bank, and $30 in post payment fees. Oh well...