Like Tree7Likes

HK ID for a baby whose parents are both expats with no ID

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

HK ID for a baby whose parents are both expats with no ID

I have searched this and other forums length and breadth, but I don't seem to see an answer to my question:

If both foreign parents hold no ID (say, they live in Shenzhen) and decide to give birth in HK SAR, is their baby automatically entitled to getting the ID?
    I've come across someone who claims they are (although that person isn't even living in Hong Kong) but I've never heard of this before.
    Is this a new regulation of some sort or simply just a rumour?

dear giant likes this.

i am not sure if hk hospitals will still accept non-resident patients for childbirth....

but, even for expat parents who ARE resident in hk, their kids are not automatically eligible for anything other than applying for a dependent visa.

i think your "information" is way off.

Well, I thought so too, however this person argues that he knows better and that apparently it's all down HK Immigration website. I have looked all over the website but didn't locate any such reference. Would it be different if the woman were giving birth in a private hospital, paying the hefty delivery charges?

It'd be really useful for many an expat, including a couple of friends who were thinking of giving birth in Hong Kong.

i think it works for chinese nationals only..if non chinese, either one of the parent should be a permenant resident.

Hospitals wont take the booking for non local mothers whose husbands are also non local..

http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/201208/06/P201208060555.htm

Last edited by shafiq; 28-10-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vikulya:
    Well, I thought so too, however this person argues that he knows better and that apparently it's all down HK Immigration website. I have looked all over the website but didn't locate any such reference. Would it be different if the woman were giving birth in a private hospital, paying the hefty delivery charges?

It'd be really useful for many an expat, including a couple of friends who were thinking of giving birth in Hong Kong.
    their are border controls preventing mothers- to be without the pre-booked hospital documents, if you have paid the hospital's deposit and have the necessary documents, they should let the mother to be through immigration, though in practice, westerners probably not as checked as throught as mainlanders

i know that non residents will pay significantly higher than hk residents, but will this apply to westerners who live in china, i think you need to contact a HK based hospital for a quotation

http://www.timeout.com.hk/feature-st...d-mothers.html

this article may answer some of your questions, note, you have to reserve hospital places months in advance as my wife has done this.
    vikulya likes this.

If you can find a way of giving birth in HK AND at least one of the parents is a Chinese citizen (where the father only counts as a parent if he is married to the mother) then yes the child gets right of abode in Hong Kong. Otherwise, no.

muzzdang and vikulya like this.

Thanks, iamparanoid.

I am aware of most of those issues.

My question was, will the baby just get a HKID if both parents are foreigners (non-Chinese descent), without ID cards, but who, however, gave birth at a private hospital?

Thanks, Gruntfuttock, this is what I thought!

No. If two non-Chinese foreigners, neither of whom has right of abode in HK have a child born in HK then that child has no right to anything as far as HK immigration status is concerned. Presumably they would be granted a Visitor Visa and extensions if necessary, but that's all.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast