Like Tree2Likes

Mainland Card - please help / clarify!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Mainland Card - please help / clarify!

Hi Guys - I am hoping someone can help and clarify the situation for me!
    I am a British passport holder but also have HKID - I have accepted a job in SZ and want to live in HK. Initially, I am told that all I need to do is apply for the Mainland card when I am over in HK which will allow me in/out of HK to China very easily - no stamps in passports, etc.
    However, my relative in HK tells me they have recently made getting the Mainland card more difficult and I may have to apply for a HKSAR passport? I have checked online and I don't think I am eligible for the HKSAR passport as I am UK foreign born and both my parents are now UK Nationals.
    Any help / advice greatly appreciated! I don't want to go over to HK in Jan and find that I need to live in SZ - I've not planned for that! I want to live in HK as I have friends and family there which will help me settle!

If you are not eligible for HKSAR passport then you can't get a Home Return Permit. It seems you need to use your UK passport with multi entry visa to travel to SZ. Not sure if you get a stamp every time you go through customs which will fill your passport pages very fast.

Last edited by Drunken Master; 16-11-2012 at 02:32 AM.

you require visa,if this ur first time, will be pricey, ie, first time, you have to get double, 6 months multi, then one year multi, then three years ( that's over 500 quid), i also note lo wu is quiet busy for immigrations, esp takes a lot longer with visas/passports

http://www.fmcoprc.gov.hk/eng/zgqz/blsjfy/t279937.htm

btw, don't go to cts, rip off

BaconBreadBaker likes this.

What kind of HKID do you have? Do you have a 48 page passport? Have you had a Chinese visa before?

I have a HKID that has 3 stars and it says 'this person has right of abode in HK' on the back.
    I have had seeveral Chinese visa's before as I used to come regularly with work - my new passport has an expired 1yr business visa in it.
    My UK passport is a standard 32 page.

I am going to apply for a HKSAR passport - so fingers crossed!

Are you ethnically Chinese? If not you can't apply for a home return permit!

Getting the HKSAR passport and then Home Return permit is the best route.

As an interim measure, and as you have had Chinese visas before, and you are a permanent HKID card holder, you should be able to get a 3 year multi entry visa. If you had a 48 page passport, it'd mean your passport wouldn't fill up so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by ufo20022008:
    Are you ethnically Chinese? If not you can't apply for a home return permit!
    Not true. Allen Zeman and Mike Rowse amongst others have HRPs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Not true. Allen Zeman and Mike Rowse amongst others have HRPs.
    Really? Where are they returning home to??!
    Last edited by ufo20022008; 16-11-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ufo20022008:
    Really? Where are they returning home to??!
    China, as they are Chinese citizens.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast