Settling in HK

Closed Thread

Settling in HK

I know that absences from Hong Kong are acceptable provided they are for a specific reason.

I read an example that an immigration lawyer guessed that it would not be acceptable for someone to study in China for 2 years and remain settled in HK because he had no work visa and so on and although he had a ex-wife/kids in HK the fact that he had no visa meant that his clock got reset.

If the situation was that the guy had RTL and required no visa and lived in HK prior, and then say rented a super cheap little hovel which he maintained the rent on while studying in China and visited Hong Kong every few months and his belongings and so on were stored there then the situation would be quite different, would it not as he would be maintaining the goal of one day making HK his only place of residence.

What are you trying to achieve?

If you have RTL, then you can live and work in Hong Kong without any restriction.

Well if I spend 2 years in China studying and by maintaining some stuff in Hong Kong then getting PR in 7 years rather than 9 years is preferable. I'll be spending time in HK anyway, so I may as well settle while multi-tasking if that would actually work.

depending on your age and what programme you are studying, time away is usually not discounted from the 7 years.

both of my cousins got their PR even though they both did degree programmes overseas: one in the UK and one in Oz.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    depending on your age and what programme you are studying, time away is usually not discounted from the 7 years.

both of my cousins got their PR even though they both did degree programmes overseas: one in the UK and one in Oz.
    Age matters? This is just theoretical by the way.. I'm just seeing if there is any point in considering this.

well, they went right out of high school, so they maintained their dependent visas throughout. so, yeah, for them, age mattered. if they had been older, then they would not have been able to maintain their dependent visas.

Seems like it could theoretically work alright because of the RTL status pretty much taking away any visa complications from being outside of the SAR. I am just going to have to weigh up the pros and cons ($$$ mainly) and being 100% sure if I'll return at a specific date before going any further though.