Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By vmlinuz
  • 1 Post By star-anise

QMAS Visa and Activation

Closed Thread

Thumbs up QMAS Visa and Activation

Hello,

First of all I would like to thank all the members of this forum for providing fantabulous advise on the entire QMAS application process based on their respective experiences. It helped me a lot in getteing my AIP letter. A big thanks to you all for sharing your experience It is really not easy to get through QMAS, requires lot of hardwork, patience and dedication.

I got my Approval in Principle letter from HK Imm Deptt on 24th Selection result. Was in HK a week back for an interview (more of a verification of original documents and no criminal record (from 3 countries which was the most hectic task)) and got my QMAS application approved on the spot along with visa/entry permit labels from HKID (within 2 hours...HKID is really efficient). Now I have some doubts and I wish to seek clarification on these points:

1. The visa label says "Good for a single journey to HK and valid for presentation on or before ........(3 months)...Residence 12 months". I am actually confused is this itself is a QMAS visa as it says "good for a single journey to HK".

2. When I visit HK again for activation of my visa (within 3 months from the date of approval), then how the visa will get activated. Whether the immigration officer at the port of entry activates it (how?) or do I need to visit the Immigration Deptt at Wan Chai again for QMAS visa activation? Would the authorities provide a seperate visa labels at the time of activation?

3. I hope the 12 months residence is not for a single length of stay and I can enter and exit HK multiple times under QMAS visa.

4. Is there any timelimit for applying HK ID card or I can apply at any time once I get my visa activated? I actually plan to look for a job in HK without leaving my current employment and settle in HK once I have a job there in hand. I do not prefer to do vice versa i.e. leave my current job and then settle in HK and look for an employment there, which looks a risky affair.

It would greatly appreciate if my queries can be clarified.

Thx

Congrats!

The 'single journey' thing is still confusing people - and has been for years now. All it means is that once you enter HK using that visa once, it's activated for the 12 month period. You can enter and leave as many times as you like during the year. All you need to do is enter once through the regular passport channel and show the sticker to the officer, who will stamp it "journey completed", at which point it's active and you're a resident. You must legally apply for an ID card within 30 days at that point - when you apply you'll be given a piece of paper which acts both as a receipt for the application and as a temporary replacement for a card which you can use until you collect your regular card.

My first QMAS sticker, from 2009, says "Quality Migrant Admission Scheme" quite clearly on the 4th line of English, as do the subsequent renewal stickers - I guess yours does too.

Incidentally, I see the 25 selection results are up, for a total of 90 AIPs this time, making 176 (of a possible 500) in the second half of this year. Either they're really cracking down, or the number of valid applicants has really fallen off since I applied - so congrats again

ThinkPositive likes this.

Thanks vmlinuz! This is helpful.
    Yes, my QMAS visa label also says "Quality Migrant Admission Scheme" on the 4th line.
    Congratulations to all those who have successsfully made through 25th slection results. Cheers!

Congratulations on getting the AIP and QMAS visa.

ThinkPositive likes this.

Thank you, star-anise!