HK RTL ID...what lane to use at airport?

Closed Thread

HK RTL ID...what lane to use at airport?

can we queue up in the HK PIC holder lane?

If you have a HK SmartID card then you just go through the electronic gates like everyone else.

If you don't yet have the SmartID card then I'm not sure, but I would go to the "Hong Kong Residents" manned desk with whatever paperwork you have showing your RTL. These days there is normally just one manned desk for Permanent Residents and one for non-Permanent Residents and they hardly ever have a queue because pretty much everyone uses the electronic gates (except people with young kids who don't have ID cards). They also seem to be fairly flexible - I came through the manned Resident desk recently with a party consisting of one PR, one normal Resident and one (child) visitor and they had no problem with that.

If you don't yet have any official paperwork then you need to go through the Visitor's queue as normal.

Last edited by PDLM; 17-02-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    If you have a HK SmartID card then you just go through the electronic gates like everyone else.

If you don't yet have the SmartID card then I'm not sure, but I would go to the "Hong Kong Residents" manned desk with whatever paperwork you have showing your RTL. These days there is normally just one manned desk for Permanent Residents and one for non-Permanent Residents and they hardly ever have a queue because pretty much everyone uses the electronic gates (except people with young kids who don't have ID cards). They also seem to be fairly flexible - I came through the manned Resident desk recently with a party consisting of one PR, one normal Resident and one (child) visitor and they had no problem with that.

If you don't yet have any official paperwork then you need to go through the Visitor's queue as normal.
    I believe it depends on if you still have to get your passport stamped. In that case it would be the HK residents line.

I have the an RTL HKID and I usually use the e-channel lane. It says Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card holder, Hong Kong Residents except : Foreign domestic helper, People on study permits, imported worker and children under the age of 11. I've also taken the HK Permanent Identity card manual lane and never had any problems.

On the side note, you can also use the HK resident lane in Macau and you get one year's stay just like any Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card holder without showing a passport.

Last edited by Aritaurus; 19-02-2008 at 07:55 PM.