Visa needed for consultant?

Closed Thread

Visa needed for consultant?

The UK company I work for is considering sending some consultants to Hong Kong for a 2-3 month project. Do they need to get visas for their employees, or is it ok for someone to work for in Hong Kong for a foreign company while visiting? If a visa is required, is it possible to get one in this situation?

I work with several consultants - almost daily - and they are hired as off shore consultants and enter HK on tourist visa for the most part.

The exception seems to be, unless their passport means that they will have a restricted stay period that is less than the time needed for the project in which they are working on.

However their are others on the geo board will be able to give you legalize language around your question.

Last edited by Alby; 17-02-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Even if they are paid in the UK they still need a visa to work here. Our people only come out for a week usually but legally they need a visa to work (and normally we get one for them). You can do meetings without a visa though and if you have a UK passport no one ever asks any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Our people only come out for a week usually but legally they need a visa to work (and normally we get one for them).
    I should also give you a time frame regarding my previous post to give you a more comprehensive response ... some consultants work from 5-mandays to 180 mandays (in extreme cases)... but I would say the average is more like 25-mandays.

However, please note that sometimes the work is also requires the consultant to travel to and from HK and mainland China a few times during their consultancy. When going to the mainland they also enter on an tourist visa ... unless they are from the mainland.