Like Tree33Likes

Entitlements of Dependent Visa Holders

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    I haven't done it yet but I remember it brings up a kind of catch 22.......If you wait until 7 years are actually up to apply, as Grunty would say, "What is your visa status?"...!
    If your 7 years is up before PR approved you have to apply for a visa extension. The reason you give on the extension paperwork is awaiting approval of PR.
    carang and bryant.english like this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    I don't know why but this process varies...my spouse went 1,2,2,2 for renewal. No Macau runs.
    1,3,3 for me as well.

Income proof to be a sponsor

Hi there,
    May I know how the HK Immigration Dept judges if I earn enough to be a sponsor for my spouse? Do I have to provide proof of my savings in the bank? Any idea of the minimum income (if any) that I have to make and how long I have to secure a new job before I apply for the dependent visa?
    Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I haven't had to deal with visas but many here have. However, I'm pretty sure you have to provide proof of savings, and they have to be in your name (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) and not have been transferred into your account immediately before application. As for the salary, ImmD doesn't give hard numbers but others will give you an idea.

[This post is essentially a bump.]

Are you a local PR? If yes the threshold is very low. Earning 10k a month and having somewhere to live is probably enough. If you are on a work visa, earning about 20k a month and having somewhere to live is about enough. If you are a PR with no job, having somewhere to live and some savings - who knows how much! is what you have to show.
    See above - having somewhere to live is important! If you are staying with relatives get them to write a letter to this effect.

New piggyback Q: Automatic Immigration

Thanks guys for an informative thread. I have a quick question:

My husband is on the dependent visa, I am his sponsor, who hold the right to abode in HK without any restrictions. We need to duck out of town for the first time since he's got his visa, and I was wondering if anyone knows if he can use the automatic immigration clearing gates?

It would make life easier rather than wait for him in the baggage collection each time!

RE: The question on finances for applying for the dependent visa, I did it with roughly 100k HKD savings with no job, and a letter from relatives (+ their HKID photocopy) saying that they will provide a roof over our head. The officer was calculating this in front of us during the interview, and he seemed to have already lost interest after he passed 60k HKD.. lol. But I think 100k is a safe bet. My husband and I opened a joint bank account to pool his savings with my name a week before leaving Europe! Oh.. and it wasn't all in one statement, the poor officer had to work out the HKD value from 3 different currencies. hahaha! I was offering the higher rate each time he moved onto a new statement.

And yes - do provide all the statements and share holdings, assets, etc. whatever you have.

Last edited by Gretina; 13-05-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

He can use his HKID card at the e-Channel gates.

Gretina likes this.

Awesome! Thx Claire

My Mother-in-law is on a dependent visa (as my husband's mother)
    Currently I'm waiting for Immigration to confirm to Queen Mary Hospital that my mother-in-law is entitled to Public Health Services as per a local.
    Queen Mary claims that there is "CO" printed on my mother-in-law's ID card and since she is also NOT a "Permanent Resident" she is NOT allowed the local medical care at local prices. This came as a shock to us as she's been using it locally for the past 3 years since she's been living with us (she's now 82yo)
    (my husband is permanent HK resident)

I've searched everywhere on Government website but cannot find anything relating to a "CO" or that non-Permanent Residents cannot use the local hospital facilities. Can anyone find it?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    (1) entitled to access to the nearly free gov't hospital facilities
    (2) whatever the immigration decides but there is a usual amount of time (1- 3 years, i can't remember which)
    (3) so long as you are still married, it is very easy to renew it (you need to continue to prove that you can support him)
    (4) unless he decides to apply for a work visa (why he would do this, i have no idea... fewer restrictions on a dependent visa)
    (5) he is not tied to remaining in hk for the entire duration of the 2-3 year visa---of course, he can take a holiday. but, he must reside here.
    (6) he is allowed to work/study/be a househusband---whatever he likes to do---on a dependent visa

The "C" means that the ID cardholder’s stay in the HKSAR is limited by the Director of Immigration at the time of registration of the card. Is there anything mentioned on the visa as to what the conditions of stay are?