Like Tree33Likes

Entitlements of Dependent Visa Holders

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Entitlements of Dependent Visa Holders

I may move back from U.S.A. to Hong Kong with my American citizen husband. I grew up in Hong Kong and therefore I am a permanent resident. I will help my husband to get a dependent visa when we are in town. However, I don't know if my husband can be entitled to Hong Kong public services, especially medical care in public hospitals, like permanent residents?

How long will a dependent visa last? Is renewal easy? Will my husband be holding this dependent visa until he resides over 7 years and then apply for the HK permanent ID card? What if he is required to leave Hong Kong for business or family visit in the U.S.A.?

Any advice will be appreciated. Many thanks!

rthk88 likes this.

(1) entitled to access to the nearly free gov't hospital facilities
    (2) whatever the immigration decides but there is a usual amount of time (1- 3 years, i can't remember which)
    (3) so long as you are still married, it is very easy to renew it (you need to continue to prove that you can support him)
    (4) unless he decides to apply for a work visa (why he would do this, i have no idea... fewer restrictions on a dependent visa)
    (5) he is not tied to remaining in hk for the entire duration of the 2-3 year visa---of course, he can take a holiday. but, he must reside here.
    (6) he is allowed to work/study/be a househusband---whatever he likes to do---on a dependent visa

Last edited by carang; 10-01-2013 at 10:12 AM.
    keikofanny and rthk88 like this.

If your husband receives a dependents visa, he will get a HKID and be entitled to all services at the hospital just like you.

I'm not sure in your case how long between renewals, but I would think 1 year or 2 year periods. Renewal is very easy.

If your husband is ordinarily resident for 7 years he will be eligible for PR himself.

People with dependents visas are free to come and go as they please.

keikofanny and rthk88 like this.

As uour dependent, your husband is entitled to the same public services (medical care in public hospitals) as any permanent resident. The dependent visa needs to be renewed for the first time usually after on year, after that it's normally every 2 years.
    Business/family visits have no effect toward future permanent residency (as long as they are really visits and not mean he settled down elsewhere). He basically needs to prove to immigration that he made Hong Kong his home to get a permanent residency application approved after seven years.
    However, to sponsor his dependant visa you need to prove that you have the ability/funds to support him.

Dependant visa for me:

1 year (need to do a Macau run to activate...)
    3 years (Easy, no need for Macau run)
    3 years (Ditto above)

a couple of months before the end of your second 3 years you apply for PR

keikofanny and SalseroHK like this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    However, I don't know if my husband can be entitled to Hong Kong public services, especially medical care in public hospitals, like permanent residents?
    I know you specifically named public hospitals, but what other "entitlements" are you thinking about? He won't be eligible for the equivalent of social security, etc.
    keikofanny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    a couple of months before the end of your second 3 years you apply for PR

Can you actually do that?

I recall when I submitted my application that I had to show 7 years (not 7 years to be in a few weeks/month) of residency in HK - I may be wrong though since I didn't spend lots of time looking at it (just filled in the formular and gave 7 years of tax payments and voila)

A very straighforward process though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Can you actually do that?

I recall when I submitted my application that I had to show 7 years (not 7 years to be in a few weeks/month) of residency in HK - I may be wrong though since I didn't spend lots of time looking at it (just filled in the formular and gave 7 years of tax payments and voila)

A very straighforward process though.
    http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/54/thread252546.html

some guy did it 1 month before his 7 years was up.
    Mat and SalseroHK like this.

Thank you Claire ex-ax. Healthcare is the no. 1 thing we "Americans" care about. I also noticed from Hospital Authority has increased their fees in these years. We have to pay a lot for medical here in the States. Since I grew up there, I was not aware of any other "entitlements" that a foreigner cannot enjoy. I understand that Hong Kong has no social security system. It is good or bad!

Thank you bryant.english. Now, I have some general ideas about renewal of dependent visa. The gov't website does not give this kind of details. I trust that my husband would love to visit Macau!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast