Moving to Hong Kong with Girlfreind

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving to Hong Kong with Girlfreind

Dear experts,

We are a couple moving to Hong Kong. I have been given a great opportunity to work as a HR Director in a large company for the coming 2/3 years. The packet I have been given and the benefits are pretty good.

I live with my girlfriend and we are not yet married. I can understand from reading in the forum that it is then not possible for her to get a VISA unless we get married.

She has a good background trained as a School Teacher working with Children with Autism for the last 10 years. She is also trained as a language therapist just graduated.

Would appreciate your kind advice as to how we manage this situation the best way.

By far the simplest is to get married. This is very straightforward to do in Hong Kong. Surely if your relationship is strong enough that she will consider moving around the world without a visa then getting married shouldn't be a problem?

Can we do with out getting married ??

Can we do with out getting married ?? as this in not our first priority

Quote Originally Posted by ppo015:
    She has a good background trained as a School Teacher working with Children with Autism for the last 10 years. She is also trained as a language therapist just graduated.
    Just in case marriage is not in her grand scheme of things or yours as well at this time...be rest assured that her skill set is needed and sought after in Hong Kong at this moment. I suggest that she reach out to some of the organizations below:

Autism Parents Network www.autismpnhk.org

Rainbow Project (HK) The Rainbow Project

Anfield International Kindergarten Anfield International Kindergarten

Woodland Pre-School woodlandschool.com

The Child Institute The Children's Institute

Koala International Kindergarten www.koalakinder.com.hk

Pang’s Music Therapy Centre ????????

Step Centre for Child Development ??B???o?i???? - STEP Center for Child Development ?{???z??a ?????R Joanne Chu ????? Karen Wong ???y?v?? Speech Therapy ?i??? ¾?~?M?? Occupational Therapy ?????d ??????| ?d???? ????g Autism ?M?`?O?????L??g ADHD ?S??????ê Specific Learni (Chinese website content) Tel: (852) 28-992-993

Potential Development Association Ltd. Welcome to pdachild.com.hk

Autism Partnership Autism Partnership

Hong Kong Vocational Centre Welcome to the Nesbitt Centre

Thx alot - We just found it a bit strange to get married for that reason.

She will contact the mentioned organisations.

Many many people in Hong Kong do. It takes a few minutes in a solicitor's office with two witnesses (who can just be random people pulled in off the street) and perhaps HK$3000. You don't even need to tell anyone except immigration that you have done it, and when you move on you can just get divorced again if that's what you want. Marriage is just a device to derive some benefits from immigration and tax authorities - no need to make a big thing out of it - the two people concerned should know exactly what the state of their relationship is without a piece of paper to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Marriage is just a device to derive some benefits from immigration and tax authorities - no need to make a big thing out of it - the two people concerned should know exactly what the state of their relationship is without a piece of paper to prove it.
    This "device" does not always work for everyone - the reasons are different for everyone.

No doubt it is the simplest way as far as immigration is concerned however, some people just like to know that they have been resourceful and explored other options before reaching and following through on the "device."

koala kinder has been gone for several years now...

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Many many people in Hong Kong do. It takes a few minutes in a solicitor's office with two witnesses (who can just be random people pulled in off the street) and perhaps HK$3000. You don't even need to tell anyone except immigration that you have done it, and when you move on you can just get divorced again if that's what you want. Marriage is just a device to derive some benefits from immigration and tax authorities - no need to make a big thing out of it - the two people concerned should know exactly what the state of their relationship is without a piece of paper to prove it.
    Actually on any legal document/government form including taxes etc you must declare you are married. So only telling immigration is a load of ....

Furthermore no matter how public the marriage is when it comes to a divorce a legal settlement can still be had.

The bottom line is these two people don't want to get married. Why not give them a real answer such as how to get a job with a work visa etc instead of putting on the pressure to marry when they don't want to?

Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:

The bottom line is these two people don't want to get married. Why not give them a real answer such as how to get a job with a work visa etc instead of putting on the pressure to marry when they don't want to?
    Hang on its just an option thats all, Nobody is pressurising them to get married.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast