Like Tree1Likes

HK birth certificate

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

So the UK has no kind of records of any British people born in Hong Kong any more? If our house burnt down my dad would have to rely on the Hong Kong (China) government to get a replacement document to get a new British passport etc?

I'm not saying that the HK government is bad per se, but it seems a bit weird that the UK has no kind of records of British people born in a British Colony and that someone would have to go to a foreign country or apply to a foreign government in order to get British document copies.

It's not at all weird. And the process is really pretty straightforward.

a. Ask UK
    b. Check HK's birth & death registry's website.
    They have detailef info on how to apply

It is quite clear from the posters, that you will get the birth certificate from the HK government. Are you wanting a different answer?

I've done both now after googling and being abused here..
    You know originally I rang / emailed UK and they basically said I don't know but I'll get back to you. Anyway I am going to get a few copies and distribute them around to family members so that in case of emergency we've got some kind of back up in place.. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by HKHK154:
    I've done both now after googling and being abused here..
    You know originally I rang / emailed UK and they basically said I don't know but I'll get back to you. Anyway I am going to get a few copies and distribute them around to family members so that in case of emergency we've got some kind of back up in place.. :-)
    You didn't get abused here.

You asked a question, you got a reply. You didn't like the reply, so you started saying the reply was wrong.
    carang likes this.

HKHK154 - just think of the logistics of what you are suggesting. If all birth certs from all the ex British Colonies were shipped to the UK there would not be room for people to live there. Even the ones that were not for 'foreigners'.

Anyway I am going to get a few copies and distribute them around to family members so that in case of emergency we've got some kind of back up in place.. :-)
    Its probably too late for you (not sure, you might try it and see what happens) but there is a way around this.

My kids are dual Brit&Canadian.
    For Canada, its called Certificate of registration of birth abroad
    The UK equivalent is this : http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...tering-a-birth

Try to get your Dad registered and let us know what happens

Yeah but the birth certificate is not hers it's my dads and he has no reason to visit Hong Kong. Just because she's going to visit there does not mean that someone should have to enter a foreign country to get a British birth certificate in my opinion.

So I'm just wondering if British Colonial certificates are available in UK or HK or both? It's much more of a pain to do it in Hong Kong as time is limited because it's a stop over while passing through perhaps for a day or so.
    apply in advance online
    http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immig...g/applybdm.htm

UK does not keep records of this. Only HK does.

Original Post Deleted
    I'm suggesting (if allowed) to get the birth certificate from HKG and then take it to GRO to register it in the UK for dear old dad who is probably in his twilight years...

The OP seems to feel strange having the Chinese govt control his supply of documentation, this would be (if allowed) one way to get rid of the Chinese govt interference...