Can my Kids have HK residents with ROA, RTL or unlimited to stay?

Closed Thread

Can my Kids have HK residents with ROA, RTL or unlimited to stay?

Hello All,

My husband and I are both HK PR, my kids are aged 4 and 2 years they were born in UK.

We are now back in HK and I have enrolled my kids at the local kindergarden and plan to have them study in HK until secondary school. However, I am trying to apply some form of HK residence with ROA, RTL or something like an unconditional stay so that they will be entitled to Pre-primary Education Voucher Scheme (PEVS).

I have already tried applying for 'A Certificate of Entitlement' but this has been refused by the gov!

Due to myself and husband both having HK permanent ID cards a permanant residence address in HK and having been married in HK, I believe there should be a way to allow my kids to stay (they are only on 180 day visa stamped on their UK passport)??? I have tried searching the HK gov site but it only confuses me more with the numerous forms.

I am now desperate to find a way round this situation. Please,any help or direction would be most appreciated. I am loosing my hair over this!

Many thanks in advances for any kind help given.
    Best regards
    Worrying Mother!!

Best place to go is the HK Immigration building on Gloucester Road in Wanchai (Near to the Hong Kong Academy for Perf Arts). They were very helpful when I had to sort out my HK ID. They have some sort of queuing system there and have limited ticket allocations to speak with people on the day (Get there early if I were you!). However, I think you can get a ticket on the internet but this only applies for a few days later.

Not sure if this is any help at all

Good luck

Are either you or your husband Chinese Citizens? If so then it seems to me that you need to complete this form: http://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/rop145.pdf
    To verify your children's eligibility for permanent right of abode under category 3) of Q.2.

If neither of you is a Chinese citizen then I don't see how you might achieve what you want.

Hi, Thanks for the prompt replies.

Both husband and I are Chinese citizens. My husband was born in HK with a 3 star HK ID card and I also a chinese was born in UK but have also obtained a 3star HK ID Card.

Thanks

contact the immigration dept at (852) 2824 6111 for checking which form you should fill up, they are very helpful .... you kids could be able to apply HKID card since the parents are both 3-star resident.

I don't think they can apply under category 3 since the parents were already settled in the UK at the time their first child was born. If one parent was either a permanent resident of the UK or a Citizen at the time of their first child's birth, their children have no claim to Chinese citizenship since the parents were considered " settled abroad ".

Last edited by Aritaurus; 08-03-2008 at 01:52 PM.

they should be at least eligible for dependent visas. with these visas, you are still eligible for the voucher scheme, at least from my understanding.

Yes, as Cara says:

This document: http://www.edb.gov.hk/FileManager/EN...s_q&a__e_1.pdf
    says:

2. Q: Who will be eligible to join the PEVS in the 2008/09 school year?
    A: Eligible pupils must be Hong Kong residents with right of abode, right to land
    or valid permission to remain without any conditions of stay (other than limit of
    stay) in Hong Kong, and born on or before 31 December 2005.
    A Dependant on someone who is a Permanent Resident (or on an Employment/Investment Visa) would meet the last criterion, so Dependant Visas are what you need for your kids.