Like Tree212Likes

Application for naturalization as a Chinese national

Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tcresident011:
    I applied for Naturalization in September 2018..got my approval in April 2019. Finally got the time to renounce my previous Nationality last week and completed all paperwork for HKId, Passport and Certificate of Registered particulars on a single day. All in all a smooth process. Now applied the naturalization application for my family as well.
    How long does it take for the HK passport to get issued after handing in the renunciation documents?

Is the process similar to:

- Hand in renunciation document - wait a few days
    - Certificate is handed over
    - Take certificate to apply for new ID / Passport
    - Given temp new ID
    - Wait a few days
    - Passport handed to you
    - 1 month later new ID card handed

Or do the new ID and passport get issued quickly?

Natnato thanks.. You have made quick progress.

I hope you will be lucky again and get a quick result. Me, I work in China and goto Shenzhen everyday!

So The wait will be painful For me. Please do update your progress 🙃

I wonder if they still issue only one way permits; or multiple entry ones available now?. If you visit once a month it will be good enough for you.

natnato likes this.

Hi Shri,

We got the naturalisation certificate in about 15 mins after handing the renunciation document and paying balance half of the fees. Took the certificate straight to ID card section and post that did a walk in for passports. Applied for passport on 27 November and it was ready for collection on 5 December. The ID card and passport were both in hand on 6 December. The certificate of registered particulars takes about a month.

Fei88 and shri like this.

@natnato

whether you speak Chinese or not doesn’t make a difference.

They are interested in your background and your history in Hong Kong. I believe it's an extensive security check. After all, they are handing you a " gold card" access to China with HRP.

Quote Originally Posted by natnato:
    Hi Fei,

Yes I applied for China home return permit weeks ago. It was a fairly straightforward process after I used google translate to read the instructions on their website and book an appointment here:

https://ww1.ctshk.com/zh/ch-chinapermit/

Docs I provided (bring original + 1 copy of each)
    - Application form: You can download it from the website above. I tried to fill it with my broken understanding of Chinese + copying the characters I could copy. But on the spot, the lady at the counter did help me correct a lot of mistakes on my form and even filled up sections on my behalf so don't worry if you can't fill the form in chinese beforehand. They can fill it on the pot for you
    - HK permanent ID: This should have your chinese name. If not, go to Immigration Dept. to apply for a new ID with a chinese name
    - Certificate of naturalization: this is what you get from IMMD, "the most important document" IMMD said.
    - Certificate of Registered Particulars: See my post above. you get this from IMMD and be sure to include as many particulars as possible
    - Certificate of renunciation of previous nationality: This is in lieu of the last foreign passport held before naturalising as chinese because my former nationality took away my last passport at time of renunciation. Oh you also have to write a letter to explain why you cannot provide the last passport you held before naturalising as Chinese. I asked the lady to write it in chinese on my behalf
    - HKSAR passport
    - Photo: It's very easy to get a photo on the spot, just go upstairs and takes 5min. However if you want bring your own photo they are picky and require a pre-verification slip (issued by them) for every photo taken from outside e.g. FOTOMAX.

Took around 40mins to apply on the spot. Lady told me it takes "up to 6-12 months" to process for first time applicants and they will call me when they have the result. So I've been waiting.
    I hope I get it quickly as it is quite inconvenient for me not to be able to go to China (I used to go once per month before naturalising).
    I'm actually curious if anyone knows, what are the criteria to assess first time applicants who are not ethnically Chinese (nor Asian), and speak no chinese ?
    natnato likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fei88:
    they are handing you a " gold card" access to China with HRP.
    Lol, what's gold card about the HRP? It's about as convenient as a normal residence permit. You don't need a HRP to use the e-gates and the actual card doesn't scan in most places, like entering Shenzhen North Station, you have to use the same manual lane as someone with a passport. You also count as a "foreigner" when buying most financial products, property or health care. But you have the added bonus of being Chinese if you should get into legal trouble. No consular protection for you.

You're wrong. If you stay 6 Months in Mainland you change your hrp to the new residence card which is used anywhere just as chinese ID card.

But train station access, using kiosks etc are trivial things.

Investing in real estate, setting up business or working full time in China ; hrp has advantages over passport.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Lol, what's gold card about the HRP? It's about as convenient as a normal residence permit. You don't need a HRP to use the e-gates and the actual card doesn't scan in most places, like entering Shenzhen North Station, you have to use the same manual lane as someone with a passport. You also count as a "foreigner" when buying most financial products, property or health care. But you have the added bonus of being Chinese if you should get into legal trouble. No consular protection for you.
    Morrison and qhank like this.

You're wrong. If you stay 6 Months in Mainland you change your hrp to the new residence card which is used anywhere just as chinese ID card.

But train station access, using kiosks etc are trivial things.

Investing in real estate, setting up business or working full time in China ; hrp has advantages over passport.
    True, the new residence card might be better. But from personal experience I can tell you that there is literally zero difference between my wife's HRP and me as a foreigner when it comes to buying property, financial instruments, social security or opening a business. The main difference is that the HRP is valid for 10 years and a work permit has to be renewed every 2 to 5 years.
    I think naturalization might make sense for someone with the goal of getting the relatively strong SAR passport, but for access to the mainland, applying for a permanent residence permit might be less trouble and safer. That card also scans at the train station
    Last edited by mrgoodkat; 24-12-2019 at 09:45 PM.
    shri likes this.

Re. China permanent residence Card VS HK HRP ;

One thing to note for Chinese Permanent residence card is a footnote - card will be revoke in either of the following conditions ( unless prior authorization received, whatever that means):

- staying less than 3 months in any year, or
    - staying less than 1 year in a 5 year period.

Whereas HK one is really " permanent".

qhank likes this.

Re. China permanent residence Card VS HK HRP ;

One thing to note for Chinese Permanent residence card is a footnote - card will be revoke in either of the following conditions ( unless prior authorization received, whatever that means):

- staying less than 3 months in any year, or
    - staying less than 1 year in a 5 year period.

Whereas HK one is really " permanent".
    Incorrect - Fixed in a later post.
    Last edited by shri; 31-12-2019 at 02:31 PM.

Yea but this thread is about getting china HRP through naturalization as a chinese national. Which means 3* HKID & a hksar passport. In that case you don't lose your permanent status in any case of absence.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    You still lose your HK PR if you go for 36 months without being in the city. You will then be given Right to Land which is basically the same as having an unlimited residence visa but you will have to pay additional stamp duty on property transactions and lose your right to vote.
    aw451 likes this.

Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 ... LastLast