Like Tree212Likes

Application for naturalization as a Chinese national

Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

My friend who is a British national (HK born/permanent HKID holder) has a 9YO son [HK born/Indian passport because of his dad who is now a permanent HKID holder (married/lived in HK for 7 years plus)]. His dad does not want to apply for HKSAR passport for whatever reason and my friend also prefers to keep her British passport. Can the kiddo still apply for HKSAR passport?

@aava no I don't think he can. Unless mom is ethnically Chinese or has three stars on her HKID
    @chuckster007 @ emx. Sadly you can't click your heels and magic a passport passport. You have to naturalise first, which is what original poster was asking about.

aava no he can't unless either of his parents are ethnically Chinese or hold three stars.

@emx and @chuckster007 sadly you can't just click your heels and magic a passport. You have to naturalise first which is original posting is aware of and asking about.

@shri it took ten months from start to finish. I've heard that it can take longer or is shorter depending on your nationality and the case. It was relatively straightforward and immigration was quite helpful with any queries
    aava and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aava:
    Can the kiddo still apply for HKSAR passport?
    Is either parent Chinese? If both arent Chinese then Answer = NO
    aava likes this.

@shri my posts seem to not be posting

It took about ten months from start to finish. Relatively straightforward process and immigration was always helpful if I had any queries.
    @Chuckster007 yes, to naturalise which is OP's question

chuckster007 likes this.

@batholomeuw sorry about that. Unfortunately, to prevent new users from abusing some features, your posts were moderated.

Will fix this thread when I get back to the office

Time for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeuw:
    Quite easy to be honest. Just finalised and had approval for mine recently.

If you have no family connections, businesses, nor property here that's fine. However, you will need to show that you have sufficient funds, are highly educated, and have skills required and in demand in Hong Kong.
    If you do not speak Chinese, your English needs to be perfect.
    hey there!

I had applied for me and family (wife, 2 kids) in Dec-17 and wondering how long this takes. They called for interview in Jan-2018 where they called everyone in person and taken all documents. We paid the initial fees as well.

I see you mention it took 10 months for the approval to come. Do you know where can we check the status? While I have the status number, on the website (GovHK: Online Application Status Enquiry), I am not able to check the status - says application not found. I wonder if this is because this status enquiry is for visas / HKID only...

Thanks in advance.

You can go in and have them check if its past the 10 month mark. If they have a problem or need additional info, they will inform you by mail.

@member

Immigration is very prompt with email queries. I found this very efficient. Email the general inquiry line with your case number and they'll call to clarify within the day.

Wait times can depend on many things, including what kind of passport you hold. Some friends had theirs done in two months :/ others 13.

@Bartholomeuw - Thanks for the update. I think its time I take the plunge and seriously look at this. The travel restrictions on an Indian passport are just too severe!

Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast