I have some questions about this. The application fee is pretty hefty so if my chances of success are very low, I won't bother.
What are my chances of being naturalized as a Chinese citizen (who wants to live in Hong Kong) considering the following facts:
1. My deceased father was born in China (mainland) and was a Chinese national with HK permanent residence/identity card - note: father is now DEAD but he was definitely Chinese and lived/worked in HK most of his life. The Chinese nationality laws and also the naturalization guidelines from HK immigration only talked about near relatives or parents in the present tense, so do I have a case if I want to claim a dead parent as my "near relative"?
2. I have half-siblings who are Chinese citizens with ROA in HK -but- I have lost touch with them (we're not close) and I probably don't want to speak to them again. Depending on them for an application is REALLY not an option because I refuse to contact them (for personal reasons, of course).
3. I'm ethnically Chinese. Not sure if this matters, but being an ethnic Chinese, am also fluent in Cantonese and Mandarin, so satisfying the "sufficient knowledge of the Chinese language" requirement they mentioned.
4. Despite #3, I'm a foreign national (British citizen) and I wasn't born in HK or China. Therefore I don't have ROA in HK although I go there a lot as a visitor and have stayed for long periods of time thanks to the generous 180-day visitor visa for Brits.
5. Definitely have income to support myself and I have no dependent siblings, spouse or children.
6. Am of good character and sound mind - not crazy and have never committed any crime or have a criminal record of any sort!
7. Not sure if "paid taxes in accordance with the law" refers to HK tax or tax in my country of domicile/residence but have alerted HK tax authorities that I don't have a HK ID card.
8. I intend to live in HK if application were approved.
And that's pretty much it, going through the rules listed on the GovHK website here:
I don't know if I would state any other legitimate reasons, other than being an ethnic Chinese who speaks Chinese and wants to live in HK/Chinese society with no visa restrictions or conditions of stay, whose father WAS Chinese, who has friends and relatives (not near relatives though) in HK, and who doesn't care much about retaining foreign nationality. Also, deceased mother didn't have ROA in HK and was born outside HK/China but she did have ROC (Taiwan) residence at some point in her life.
None of the migration schemes (QMAS, CIES, business investment visa, etc) apply to me, so this would be a last ditch attempt if I were to give it a go. Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.