Like Tree29Likes

Permanent residence after 7 years - with gap ?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

When should one apply for PR? Actually, let me re-phrase, when is the earliest one can put their application in for PR? Is it when they hit the 7 year mark or sometime before?

I applied a month earlier and got the letter exactly 6 weeks from application..

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks Mobile

pin, pkreli and SalseroHK like this.

Stupid question may be but, did you put in the date you applied or the date of 7 years completion on the application forms ?

Quote Originally Posted by shafiq:
    I applied a month earlier and got the letter exactly 6 weeks from application..

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks Mobile

Should be after 7 years but as above people have applied before. I waited until 7 years and applied and took around 6 weeks. A friend applied at a similar time albeit a month before her 7 years and took just over 10 weeks. So assume it come down to how busy they are at the time as well.

pin, pkreli and SalseroHK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    so your real question is "can a non-resident apply for permanent residency?"
    Nope... The question is if he/she may apply for a PR in HK if there is almost a year gap.. E.g. He stay there for 2007-2011 (6year), then he leave from 2011-2012 (1yr), then he comeback again from 2012-2013, so she/he completed the 7yrs requirement but the problem is there is a yr or less gap.. He's just asking may be someone have similar situation like me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dennis97085:
    Nope... The question is if he/she may apply for a PR in HK if there is almost a year gap.. E.g. He stay there for 2007-2011 (6year), then he leave from 2011-2012 (1yr), then he comeback again from 2012-2013, so she/he completed the 7yrs requirement but the problem is there is a yr or less gap.. He's just asking may be someone have similar situation like me!!!!
    what was his residency status for 2012? the law is very clear - 7 continuous years.
    carang likes this.

I believe you can have a gap of up to 6 months, but a year is too long. The clock would have been reset.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    I believe you can have a gap of up to 6 months, but a year is too long. The clock would have been reset.
    It all depends. I would apply, explain as much as possible and see what they say.
    (If rejected, nothing is lost compared to not having applied).
    Without getting too much into details, sometimes the results can be quite surprising.
    usehername likes this.

If he was away for study or medical reasons, he can surely explain..otherwise its increasingly tough to explain the one year gap!! Its better to apply online and give a try!!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks mobile app

Similar situation or not, the Immigration Department will look at individual cases so no matter what happened before (and obviously you are trying to find someone who successfully negotiated through this) it will have no bearing on this particular case.

As others have said, apply and if there are reasonable extenuating circumstances, there is a small chance of getting through. However, the 7 years' continuous residency is a requirement. I had an employee seconded outside Hong Kong for just over a year and they would not count it as continuous (nor did I expect them to, just had to prove to the employee that my opinion of his case was correct).