Like Tree21Likes

visa status after divorce due to domestic violence

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

they do not grant divorces in PH. they will only do annulments and from what i understand, paying off the people who grant them can be a very expensive proposition.

i do hope the woman in question stays safe.... that is far more important than any visa!

INXS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    they do not grant divorces in PH. they will only do annulments and from what i understand, paying off the people who grant them can be a very expensive proposition.

i do hope the woman in question stays safe.... that is far more important than any visa!
    I completely agree with this.
    Safety should be the top priority.

I thought work visas and dependents visas were valid* through the expiration date on the visa, regardless of your job status or marital status? If not the case, than why even go through the trouble of having people renew every year or two or three? Just issue an open ended visa.

*by valid, I mean you can legally stay in Hong Kong during the period of your visa

Last edited by closedcasket; 21-03-2013 at 01:54 PM.

CC, yes they are... the problem is that her visa will not be renewed if she is no longer married to the turd. so, she will have to return home.

to the OP, what visa does the daughter have? i'm guessing a dependent, if they are not chinese... which means that the daughter is also dependent on the turd.

the mother will have to get permission to leave hong kong with the girl. if the father refuses, then the mother has no choice but to leave the girl here (unless they are able to work custody and residence issues out during the divorce proceedings) with her abusive father. not a great alternative for them.

As the child of a PR born in HK the child has PR.

The courts in HK will not grant divorce without some agreement between the parents as to the custody and support of the child being lodged with them. My understanding is that the courts tend towards favouring the mother in the case of young children.

Again, I think she should talk to a lawyer. I hope also that she has visited a doctor or hospital after these beatings - having a medical record will help her case greatly. Having said that, I suspect she hasn't since the husband would have been questioned by the police if she had done so.

If she still has visible injuries from the latest assault then she should get to a medical facility to get them documented straight away.

not if the PR is not chinese.... i think. or do they have it but lose it if they don't live here?

Yes they do, but at age 21 they need to reapply in their own right (on the basis of 7 years residency), otherwise they lose it.

See category e) here: http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immig...faqroa.htm#/q1

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 21-03-2013 at 03:03 PM.
    carang likes this.

gotcha! thanks for the clarification.

thanks everyone for the info. she did go to a hospital after the last beating. the social workers at the hospital put her and daughter in a shelter. agree that safety should always come first. but she is very worried about her visa status. her current dependent visa expires in August. sounds like she should contact St. John's cathedral for pro bono legal advice.

carang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Yes they do, but at age 21 they need to reapply in their own right (on the basis of 7 years residency), otherwise they lose it.

See category e) here: http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immig...faqroa.htm#/q1
    I read category e, but don't see how it states that the child will lose the PR at 21 and will need to reapply?