Tourist Visa Extension during the process of dependent visa

Closed Thread

Tourist Visa Extension during the process of dependent visa

Hi,

One of my friend is having issue extending his wife tourist visa.Here is the whole story:

For the first time when he applied his wife visitor visa they gave 4 weeks and few days ago he went to extend for the first time and only extend for 1 week and they were saying it mightn't extended next time even though he explained the officer about the situation that his wife dependent visa is in process (applied after one week she arrived in HK) with a proof of application number but it seems like they don't want to extend, not sure why. If she wants to stay here with her husband in a tourist visa until the dependent visa is arrived there shouldn't be a problem right ? My friend also wrote the letter to the officer who is handling the dependent visa but that officer also told him that it will take some time. Is there any advice on how to extend the tourist visa ? or any other suggestions...please !

I hope to get some reasonable answers so that we can go for it.
    Thanks a lot for your answers.

Regards,
    Suraj

I think basically ImmD don't like people presuming that visas will be granted. If everyone who applied for a visa got one then the ImmD officers would basically be out of a job, so when people have an attitude that to them seems like you think it is somehow a "right" then they can get upset.

The simple answer is for your friend's wife (South Asian I guess) to go back to her home country to await ImmD's decision.

I would agree with Grunt, it sounds like you might have annoyed Immigration by assuming your wife will get an extension. The best plan is to beg, and apologise for her coming to HK on a tourist visa before the dependent visa was granted. They have all the power and all the rights, you need to grovel.

Thank you both for your reply, it's really appreciated. I have been told by friend that they did beg and request a lot for the visit visa extension until the arrival of her dependent visa. The right and opinions what I am referring above is to tell the geoxpat members and my personal opinions, he didn't tell anything bad to the immigration, they were very polite to the officer.

Last edited by surajbgl; 24-03-2013 at 01:00 AM.

I am just thinking if they can request to the Chief Immigration Officer (Management Audit) to consider the visitor visa extension until the result of the dependent visa ?

Is there some utterly compelling reason why she can't just go back to her home country to wait? That's what the rules say she should do, and what most people do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Is there some utterly compelling reason why she can't just go back to her home country to wait? That's what the rules say she should do, and what most people do.
    Do they? My wife didn't, they extended her tourist visa. Mind you we had kids.