Gay Expat from US

Closed Thread

Gay Expat from US

In the coming months my partner's job will be moving us to Hong Kong. Our relationship is not recognized by the government so the best I can do is come on a visitors visa. I'm told I may be able to apply for an extended visitors visa as well.

In the US I work as a Registered Nurse but in order to work in HK I will have to take their board exams which are only offered once a year in March and take months to complete. I am not sure if there are other jobs in HK that I would qualify for to receive a workers visa.

Has anyone encountered a similar situation? If so how have you coped with the change and what have you been doing with your free time?

Taken from the SCMP

Gay partners given 'relationship visa': Prolonged visitor visa effectively sanctions same-sex partnerships with aim of retaining business talent

Hong Kong is quietly handing out visas which allow the partners of gay professionals to live in the city long-term despite officially not recognising same-sex relationships.

The visa - known as an extended visitor's visa or de facto relationship visa - allows the partners of homosexuals who have a work visa to stay as long as they remain in the relationship. However, it does not give the same rights to homosexual married couples as heterosexual ones, which critics say will hurt Hong Kong's commercial competitiveness.

Inquiries by the Sunday Morning Post (SEHK: 0583, announcements, news) reveal that many couples have extended the visa several times, without needing to take a trip out of Hong Kong to renew their stay. However, successful applicants live the life of a permanent tourist; gay partners may not work, do not get an ID card or qualify for permanent residency after seven years. The visa must be renewed at least every six months.

Among immigration consultants, gay rights advocates and lawyers its existence is common knowledge. An Immigration Department spokesman said policy for dependants was based on "the concept of a married couple consisting of one male and one female" but that "the director may consider exercising discretion on an exceptional basis".

An internal study by Goldman Sachs found that more than five per cent of its 1,000-strong workforce in Hong Kong identified themselves as either lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.

(...)

I'm currently going through the process.
    There's a great site that will give you all the information you need, search for 'hong kong visa gezza', they have great info specific to our situation.
    It would help tremendously if you have a marriage or DP certificate.
    Prepare LOTS of documentation of the relationship.
    Feel free to contact me if you need anything, but do see Stephen Barnes' site, there's tons of free information.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Taken from the SCMP

Gay partners given 'relationship visa': Prolonged visitor visa effectively sanctions same-sex partnerships with aim of retaining business talent

Hong Kong is quietly handing out visas which allow the partners of gay professionals to live in the city long-term despite officially not recognising same-sex relationships.

The visa - known as an extended visitor's visa or de facto relationship visa - allows the partners of homosexuals who have a work visa to stay as long as they remain in the relationship. However, it does not give the same rights to homosexual married couples as heterosexual ones, which critics say will hurt Hong Kong's commercial competitiveness.

Inquiries by the Sunday Morning Post (SEHK: 0583, announcements, news) reveal that many couples have extended the visa several times, without needing to take a trip out of Hong Kong to renew their stay. However, successful applicants live the life of a permanent tourist; gay partners may not work, do not get an ID card or qualify for permanent residency after seven years. The visa must be renewed at least every six months.

Among immigration consultants, gay rights advocates and lawyers its existence is common knowledge. An Immigration Department spokesman said policy for dependants was based on "the concept of a married couple consisting of one male and one female" but that "the director may consider exercising discretion on an exceptional basis".

An internal study by Goldman Sachs found that more than five per cent of its 1,000-strong workforce in Hong Kong identified themselves as either lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.

(...)
    Funny, months ago when i claimed this to be the case, I was ripped a new one for giving out false information...go figure.

does HK recognise overseas same sex marriages in regards to dependent visas??

Quote Originally Posted by carbacca:
    does HK recognise overseas same sex marriages in regards to dependent visas??
    No they don't

Thanks for all the useful information!