China Multiple Entry Visas - Banned

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

I'd like to see the US / UK and various EU chambers shake a stick or two ...

No statement yet on the AmCham website.

I went to a drinks party with Tsang just after he was put in post. It was a HKTDC event at which I heard him clearly say in his speech.

" If you have a problem our TDC will solve it for you. If they cannot do it then I pledge so to do. Business is our base in HK and we must do all we can to support and encourage it. "

OK - so he is a Civil Servant come Politician. However it only takes the likes of Li & Fung or even Cathay ( how does a Pilot / Crew exist without a Multi Entry Visa ) to pound on his door and he should take notice.

I went to a drinks party with Tsang just after he was put in post. It was a HKTDC event at which I heard him clearly say in his speech.

" If you have a problem our TDC will solve it for you. If they cannot do it then I pledge so to do. Business is our base in HK and we must do all we can to support and encourage it. "

OK - so he is a Civil Servant come Politician. However it only takes the likes of Li & Fung or even Cathay ( how does a Pilot / Crew exist without a Multi Entry Visa ) to pound on his door and he should take notice.

What actions can AmCham et al possibly take? No matter what they do HKSAR has no say in what Beijing wants to do. It is still 1 country 2 systems. There is nothing Tsang can do to change anything!

What actions can the AmCham take?

Organize the ambassadors to call on China to rethink?

Quote Originally Posted by chimo:
    What actions can AmCham et al possibly take? No matter what they do HKSAR has no say in what Beijing wants to do. It is still 1 country 2 systems. There is nothing Tsang can do to change anything!
    heh to 1 country and 2 systems.

Quote Originally Posted by chimo:

On the first count - more than you think. Diplomacy is a silent art.

On the second - the input is always valued and that should not be dismissed as valueless.

On the third count - If Tsang knows and feels that some underling in Beijing has overstepped his position he is of a high enough rank in the system to make things happen. Same as any Party Head or Governor of any province. It just relies on him getting the brief and all the calls from the Embassy and Consulate Heads. My guess is it will have gone to TDC first and be going up the system.

I hope so anyway !

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    It seems to me that the message from China is quite clear: "if you want to visit or do business in our country then you do it on our terms; when the rest of the world stops trying to interfere in our internal affairs and stops disrupting our Olympic preparations then business as normal will resume. Your choice."

I definitely think that criticism and hectoring of China by other nations including my own, Canada, have factored into this decision equal to, or more than, their concern for problems before and during the Olympics.

It is amateur hour with many foreign governments including my own - Canada - constantly telling China what they should do not to mention their continuous accusations of Chinese spies. We did better under earlier regimes where the goal was to build trade and cultural relations as a way to break down barriers and build a better world.

I heard about 8 months ago that Canada had become one of the hardest countries for mainland Chinese to get into recently - even to courses at places like UBC which designs them for Chinese students! This was told to an applicant in China by their advisor. The person is in the 4 month course now but the time to get to yes was quite long.

Countries fail to grasp - at times - this BBC statement on the outrage ahead of President Clinton's 9 China trip in his second term:

"Every fourth person in the world lives in China, it is potentially the United States' most important trading partner, and the US can't afford to jeopardise such an important relationship."

What is bad is that people who need to cross the border for work/business are being screwed by this policy which is not good for anyone.
    Last edited by Football16; 08-04-2008 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    I had the same thought but the question is: will he step up or will he capitulate to Beijing as he has done numerous times before stating that HK does not get involved in China affairs because China does not get involved in HK affairs? (The guy is only second to GW Bush for foot in mouth statements).
    Isn't he basically appointed by Beijing, subject to an "election" of course.
    Why would capitulation surprise you?
    There is a rumor that this does not apply to Americans with previous visas--
    China Visa Services - Visa to China for Business, Tourist, Work and Student
    Maybe that's why Amcham isn't saying anything.
    Last edited by Sleuth; 08-04-2008 at 08:54 PM. Reason: added link

If the website is correct and US-passport holders with previous multi-entry visas are excluding from this tightening, you wouldn't expect AmChem to complain but quietly accept the status quo and put on their best behavior to not risk that this carrot be revoked.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast