Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Skyhook
  • 2 Post By Claire ex-ax

QMAS Query-Urgent

Closed Thread

QMAS Query-Urgent

Hi All,
    I had appiled for QMAS along with my wife in mid July 2012 from India and got the acknowledgement in Mid August.
    Got a request for additional docs in the beginning of September submitted all the additional docs in the end of October and got the acknowledgement for the
    same in mid November 2012. We have been waiting ever since, I wrote an email to my case officer in Jan and got a response stating that we will have to wait until
    I receive any correspondence from them on rejection as the applications have to go through a specific queue and all.
    I have more that 100 points and I (Commerce Grad+MBA) have been working in the field of finance for reputed companies for the past 6.5 yrs and my wife (an Engineer+MBA) also works for a world renowned consulting firm.
    We have shown some 1,70,000 HKD as the Funds we hold,which I now understand is very less compared to what other people usually show.
    Just wanted to know how long does it usually take for a rejection to come through? Do we stand a chance with our qualifications,experience and the Funds that we have shown?
    Thanks for all your help

It usually takes around 9 or so months to get through a QMAS application before a definite decision is made, and there are no guarantees regardless of what your point score is. They never get anywhere near their non Chinese quota of successful applicants, maybe 30% of their yearly quota get through, at best... Considering how many thousands of applications they must receive each year, when only a couple of hundred per year are ever selected...

If your qualifications and employment experience with well known international firms are comprehensive with excellent references to support outstanding achievement etc, then you ( in my opinion ) would have a much better chance of applying for an internal transfer, ( or listing yourself with a top 3 professional head hunter ) providing the company you work for has a branch office in HK, (like 90% of us expats most of us were transferred to head up roles here initially) via a company sponsored employment visa, statistically speaking that = your best/fastest rate of success.

QMAS would be likely the most difficult visa to obtain as too many applicants offer pretty average skill sets that are already existent in abundance by locals, unless you are of a much higher quality that in some way will benefit HK via fiscal gain for the city, positive employment growth, or in areas of sport and entertainment ie civic pride etc.

That's how I interpret it, so I wouldn't count on anything unless you really are in the very top percentile of your profession.

Last edited by Skyhook; 15-05-2013 at 01:45 PM.
    AspiringHK likes this.

Thanks a lot Skyhook.

I was actually wasn't aware how QMAS works and for whom its actually meant.

I was convinced in my mind that it works exactly like the other Countries like UK,AUS or Canada.I was thinking that as long as you qualify they wont have a problem issuing the Visa though it will take a lot of time.I should have understood then itself when I learnt that they only issue a handful of visas in a quarter.

Thanks again for you help

Presumably if you don't know how the scheme works you went through an agent who didn't bother explaining anything to you? I can't imagine you'd put together anything like a reasonable application yourself without picking up on things like the quarterly processing of applications, for example...

Also, how is this urgent, if you've been waiting to hear since September/November?

Last edited by vmlinuz; 15-05-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Yes, that's exactly what happened.My Visa to another country was rejected after a long wait of 2.5 years so i kinda got desperate, that's when the agent suggested me to go for HK the overall scheme from a quick glance seemed ok to me so I went for it.Its only over a period of time that i realized that I shouldn't have gone for it.

Please consider "Urgent" a typo :-)

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Apsiring, sadly you're not the only one who has been duped by an agent. Alas, like them you are out of pocket without a promise of a visa.

Here is the guidebook for QMAS. Please take a read:
    http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/services/h...guidebook.html

Skyhook and AspiringHK like this.

Thanks Claire!