Help! How can my baby apply for HK PR?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help! How can my baby apply for HK PR?

Hi Guys

First time post here.

My wife and I live and work in Shanghai. I am an Australian citizen and my wife is HK PR. We are expecting our child later this year. For practical reasons, our baby will be born in Shanghai.

We want to apply HK PR for our baby so he/she can get Hui Xiang Zhen, which makes future travels/stays in China much easier.

We have received conflicting advice from HK Immigration Department ("ID") and Chinese Entry/Exit Bureau ("PSB"). In summary, we have been told the following:

- ID told us that we need to apply for a Certificate of Entitlement for our baby in PSB. PSB will then refer this matter to ID. Once ID issues the Certificate of Entitlement, PSB will issue a One-way permit which allows our baby to travel to HK to apply for HK ID.

- alternatively, our baby can apply for Australian passport first. Then travel to HK and apply for verfication of eligibility for permanent ID card. However, we cannot apply for this if we are "ordinary residence" of the Mainland (which would require a Certificate of Entitlement).

Based on the above advice, we went to PSB. PSB told us that they cannot accept our Certificate of Entitlement Application because neither parents have Chinese Hukou.

As you can see from above, we are stuck in a limbo. ID and PSB have told us different things.

We would be very grateful if any posters have encountered similar issues in the past and could share some practical tips.

Thank you!

Is your wife also a HK/Chinese citizen or just a (foreign) PR?

Personally, I would have the baby in HK or Australia! Certainly would not want to risk the baby being considered only Chinese by the chinese government.

Wouldn't it be much easier to have the baby born in HK if you want to apply Hui Xiang Zheng (home return permit) for him/her (especially your wife is HK PR)?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Highly relevant. OP, please note.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    She is "HK citizen" with a HK passport. No other passports.
    Last edited by Austfella; 28-05-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Austfella:
    She is "HK citizen" with a HK passport. No other passports.
    You mean a Chinese citizen.

It is definitely easier to have the baby in HK (in terms of application procedures). However, it is not easy for many other practical reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    You mean a Chinese citizen.
    I believe so under PRC law.

Quote Originally Posted by Austfella:
    I believe so under PRC law.
    black hair, black eyes??

is she racially chinese?

what visa is your wife on in china?
    Last edited by dumbdonkey; 28-05-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast