QMAS viability

QMAS viability

Hi guys - having sent off my QMAS application this week, posting this question may just be an exercise in torturing myself, but I'm interested to get a perspective on how viable my application might be. I know there may not be much of an answer, owing to QMAS success being dependent on shifting needs in the HKSAR and the general mysteriousness of the selection process.

(Supporting evidence provided for all items)
    - Points claimed: 110
    - Dependents: None
    - Languages: English only
    - Criminal record: Nil
    - Assets: HKD $380,000
    - Tertiary: Bachelor in Business (Information Systems) obtained in Australia
    - High school achievements: National level distinctions in science, biology, mathematics and geography, as well as placing 4th in Australia in a science competition; winner of school writing competition and yearbook editor
    - Professional exp: 9 years in 2x multinational corporations ($45b and $100b in revenues, respectively) plus a small software firm that sent me to work in the USA; contract software developer at age 15; skilled in IT, telecommunications, managed services, consulting; recognized in writing by software multinational business unit leader for outstanding service in securing a multi-million dollar contract
    - Professional network: Existing contacts in HK consisting of senior software executives and directors at 2x regional financial institutions
    - Misc: My father has been a China business consultant for the past 15 years so I am familiar with the region, its culture and business customs.

And yes I am kicking myself for not commencing Mandarin lessons years ago

The Gutter.... I've moved up in the world

Hope you get it, you've got great assets... and a cool screen name

If you're Australian it would be quicker to come here on a working holiday visa then try to get a job which would support an employment visa once you're here. No reason that I'm aware of to stop the QMAS proceding in the background.

Gruntfuttock, I was concerned by the stipulation of the Working Holiday visa that I couldn't take on employment of more than 3 months at a time, which would lower my earning power and see me burn through my savings faster, assuming it took time to find an employer who would sponsor me (and assuming that actually happened). It meant taking on a degree of risk which I wasn't comfortable with...or maybe I'm being a sook and I should consider it simply on the basis that being in HK face-to-face for interviews will accelerate my chances of a job, either sponsored or while I wait for a QMAS to maybe come through.

So many damn variables :P

The Gutter.... I've moved up in the world

A corporate mercenary like you will have cushy number in no time.... don't underestimate the power of a tough Aussie...

Last edited by Fly Boy; 07-06-2013 at 11:43 PM.

Hi all - just wanted to follow up, in an effort to help others looking at the QMAS option. My application was accepted Received the approval in principle letter in June, so total processing time was spot on 12 months. They sent me another letter a few months prior asking me to clarify where I sat in the organizational structure of a couple of my jobs, so I threw together some charts and hoped they wouldn't be too tough on me.