Temp stay with multiple re-entry?

Closed Thread

Temp stay with multiple re-entry?

I'm an American considering opening a business in Hong Kong or opening a branch office of my U.S. corporation in Hong Kong. But in order to determine whether this is feasible, I need to spend 4 - 6 months there to research my options AND also be able to exit and re-enter the country during that time.

I do not have a sponsor in Hong Kong.

What type of visa I should apply for?

FYI - The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

If you're setting up a company office, I'd recommend you touch base with the folks at InvestHK - they're pretty good at guiding potentially new companies who're setting up.

Page has moved

to be honest if you are not actually opening anything

you can quite easily travel on a holiday visa in and out for a while without anyone caring. we did that while we were sussing the place out before we actually decided to move. you can get 90 days at a time i think. then follow the advice above when you want to make a move.

visitor's visa with multiple entry?

Thank you for that suggestion. I see the 90-day visitor's visa but not that it is multiple-entry.

Can anyone point me to that specific information?

It's not a 90 day visa, it's 90 days visa free access. Each time you re-enter the clock gets reset to zero. So you can do this repeatedly until Immigration decides that they don't believe you are just here as a visitor and requires you to get a visa. As others have said you should be OK for any number of entries and re-entries over a 6-9 month period. It's people flogging this beyond that who tend to get noticed.

I'm sorry for my ignorance and hope you'll bear with me.

Let's say I just come to HK for a month or so, as a visitor, with no visa. And then I leave the country for a week and come back in. I can do that multiple times for a few months and it should be okay?

As long as you can convince the immigration officer that you're entering on legitimate reasons and not working illegally etc.

Having said that, they're a lot more flexible around these parts of the world than the US / EU / UK.

But to be clear, for at least the first 3 or 4 times assuming you have a US passport and look presentable then the Immigration officer will probably not say a word - just stamp you in.