HK ID, BN(O), HKSAR Passport for Naturalized Filipnio

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by STB:
    Thank you for your responses.

I did a little research on this matter and found the following:

Nationality Law of the People's Republic of China
    The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

Both my parents were Chinese nationals at the time of my birth, 1969.
    My father became a naturalized Filipino 1982.
    My mother retained her Chinese Citizenship.

I acquired Filipino citizenship, because I am a minor and legitimate child of a Naturalized Filipino Citizen. I don't think I acquired my Filipino citizenship of my own free will (thought I still wish to retain it after getting a HKSAR passport). The process was automatic as stated in this Philippine law:

[/SIZE]
    I don't remember taking any oath of allegiance of any sort when I was a minor.

Note that the Philippine nationality law is currently based upon the principles of “jus sanguinis” (right of blood) and therefore descent from a parent who is a citizen/national of the Republic of the Philippines is the primary method of acquiring Philippine citizenship.

Please feel free to comment on my ineligiblity, based on these findings.
    From the IMMD website
    The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

Remaining in the HKSAR as a Chinese citizen

As long as you remain as a Chinese citizen (i.e. you do not declare change of nationality) , you will retain your status as a permanent resident and enjoy the ROA in the HKSAR irrespective of whether you were physically present in Hong Kong on 1 July 1997 or whether you had returned to settle within the time permitted under the "Transitional Arrangements" in Part 4.

You will not lose your status as a permanent resident even if you are absent from Hong Kong for long periods.
    You can still use your foreign passport as a travel document but you will not enjoy consular protection in the HKSAR.

-----

In other words, you are still a Chinese citizen as long you have never made a declaration of nationality change to the immigration department.
    Last edited by Aritaurus; 25-04-2008 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    get a SAR passport, cheaper and better than a BNO, SAR passport holders can travel freely in europe where as BNO have to apply for each country visa.

SAR cost below HK500
    BNO cost more than HK1500
    Actually, I'll be happy to get any, as long as I'm eligible.

It's a real pain get Visas on my Philippine Passport, even if I already have both US and Schengen Visas.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You are not eligible for a BN(O). The British Government stopped issuing them to HK people in 1997; renewals only.

As your situation is unique, you would be better off employing a professional immigration expert, or alternatively contact the HK Immigration Dept., than fishing for information here.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    You are not eligible for a BN(O). The British Government stopped issuing them to HK people in 1997; renewals only.

As your situation is unique, you would be better off employing a professional immigration expert, or alternatively contact the HK Immigration Dept., than fishing for information here.

I will seek a professional help, but before I do so, I want to see if I should even try.

This is a "free" forum after all.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    I will seek a professional help, but before I do so, I want to see if I should even try.

This is a "free" forum after all.
    Advice from the Immigration is professional and free.

go to the immigration offices and ask them, its free for the advice, might just take up some of your time. u wont get a bno as u would have probably known by now from the previous post, HK SAR i would think u would have a better chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Aritaurus:
    In other words, you are still a Chinese citizen as long you have never made a declaration of nationality change to the immigration department.
    Tough question to answer. I would say, I do not recall, or perhaps I didn't understand at that time.

What I can say, is that I became a Filipino Citizen because of my father. I didn't ask for it. Based on the Philippine law, it appears to be a "right", being a legitimate child.

I was barely high school back in 84.

Still want to hear from Nay-sayers!

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Advice from the Immigration is professional and free.

Airfare and hotel to HK, just to make an inquiry is not free.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    go to the immigration offices and ask them, its free for the advice, might just take up some of your time. u wont get a bno as u would have probably known by now from the previous post, HK SAR i would think u would have a better chance.
    BN(O): No chance
    HKSAR = better chance

Got it!

To the rest of the posters:

Come on...I need your "personal" analysis, and intepretations, based on the facts presented.

If I'm not eligible, tell me why, and we can talk about it.

BN(O): No chance
    HKSAR = better chance

Got it!

To the rest of the posters:

Come on...I need your "personal" analysis, and intepretations, based on the facts presented.

If I'm not eligible, tell me why, and we can talk about it.
    I'll give you a 70% chance of being able to obtain the HKSAR passport based on the information you have provided. The other 30% is only if you fail the present the appropriate documentation to the authorities or you father has renounced your BDTC/Chinese citizenship on your behalf when you were a minor.

My parents were both born in Hong Kong and immigrated to Canada and never came back for ore than 20 years other than for a visit on a tourist visa. They both had no problems obtaining ***AZ HKIDs and they can also get home return permits for travel to the mainland. I think your case is pretty similar so I don't see why you cannot get an HKSAR passport.

That is my opinion based on their experience. Just call the immd and see what they have to say.