• 1 Post By hongkong7
  • 1 Post By Football16
  • 3 Post By INXS
  • 1 Post By Romeolo888

ENTERING HONG KONG

Closed Thread

ENTERING HONG KONG

Dear all,

My work visa has been approved (8 weeks later!!!) and will be collected by my employer.

Has anyone had this experience whereby your visa is not in your passport upon arrival? Do you just enter as a tourist? Obviously, I won't receive the visa before I enter.

Any advice appreciated!!!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Your employer can send it to you prior to your arrival so you can put it in your passport and activate it upon arrival. Otherwise you need to activate yourself after you arrive (you enter on a tourist visa), either at ImmD* or leaving/entering Hong Kong, e.g. on a short trip to Macau.

* To be confirmed by others as not something I ever had to do.

INXS likes this.

I don't think you can activate it at immd, I think you have to 'enter' to activate it the first time.

Yeah, it's the short trip to Macau I’m afraid. That’s what I had to do when I came here. Once you have the visa, get to Macau and stick it in your passport before you come back.

God forbid you should be able to do something as simple as go to ImmD and get it stamped!
    That just wouldn't be Hong Kong.

usehername likes this.

[QUOTE=mkojin;2459542]Dear all,

My work visa has been approved (8 weeks later!!!) and will be collected by my employer.

Has anyone had this experience whereby your visa is not in your passport upon arrival? Do you just enter as a tourist? Obviously, I won't receive the visa before I enter.
    I assume its like the dependent visa which is just a sticker you put stick on a blank page in your passport :just get your employer to courier it to you stick it in your passport and your set to come to Hong Kong

carang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dermotp:
    Yeah, it's the short trip to Macau I’m afraid. That’s what I had to do when I came here. Once you have the visa, get to Macau and stick it in your passport before you come back.

God forbid you should be able to do something as simple as go to ImmD and get it stamped!
    That just wouldn't be Hong Kong.
    I don't think this is peculiar to Hong Kong which is far easier to get a work visa than in Canada or the USA.

And having to exit and return is common.

If you have a China visa, Shenzhen is faster than Macau however it is a nice trip for a first timer to HK.
    Last edited by Football16; 30-06-2013 at 08:07 PM.
    arrowsmith likes this.

Yes. When people complain about HK Immigration they're really saying, "HK is the first country I've worked/settled in.". HK Immd. are super efficient.

Sent from my GT-S6102 using GeoClicks mobile app

I had to go to Macao for 40 mins to activate my visa. It was a very short trip there

HKHK154 likes this.