Like Tree8Likes

How to obtain HK ID card for Downgraded Status, Right to Land, Skip ROP 145/VEPIC

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

How to obtain HK ID card for Downgraded Status, Right to Land, Skip ROP 145/VEPIC

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any help/advice you guys provide!

I'm trying to obtain a HK ID Card (non-permanent) through my Right to Land status. I think I have a unique situation that is not quite covered under the existing discussions so I'm going to pose it to you guys:

I was born in the US (born in 1986, prior to handover) to both parents who were born in HK. By virtue of my parents, I obtained a Youth Permanent Resident ID (one * non-smart ID version).

When I went to HK to replace my ID card with the Smart ID card, it was taken away from me by immigration in wanchai. I had lost my Right of abode, because I did not return to HK when I was in college (slightly more than 36 months).

I was informed that I now only had the Right to Land. At that time, I did not re-obtain my HK ID Card (this was several years ago).

I would like to obtain my HKID, but all of the posts say to fill out ROP 145 - Application for Verification of Eligibility for Permanent ID Card and go thru the VEPIC process.

My question is, do I still have to go through the VEPIC process, even though I know I will be denied, and I only want the HKID, not the HKPID.

The reasoning is, I will be in HK for about 2-3 weeks in this December and want to complete this process in one trip.

the VEPIC process can take much longer, and I don't want to go through it, because I already know the result!

My question is, do I still need to fill out the VEPIC, even though I previously had a Youth HKPID and had it taken away due to being away from HK for more than 36 months!

Thanks again

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by bbmatt:
    Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any help/advice you guys provide!

I'm trying to obtain a HK ID Card (non-permanent) through my Right to Land status. I think I have a unique situation that is not quite covered under the existing discussions so I'm going to pose it to you guys:

I was born in the US (born in 1986, prior to handover) to both parents who were born in HK. By virtue of my parents, I obtained a Youth Permanent Resident ID (one * non-smart ID version).

When I went to HK to replace my ID card with the Smart ID card, it was taken away from me by immigration in wanchai. I had lost my Right of abode, because I did not return to HK when I was in college (slightly more than 36 months).

I was informed that I now only had the Right to Land. At that time, I did not re-obtain my HK ID Card (this was several years ago).

I would like to obtain my HKID, but all of the posts say to fill out ROP 145 - Application for Verification of Eligibility for Permanent ID Card and go thru the VEPIC process.

My question is, do I still have to go through the VEPIC process, even though I know I will be denied, and I only want the HKID, not the HKPID.

The reasoning is, I will be in HK for about 2-3 weeks in this December and want to complete this process in one trip.

the VEPIC process can take much longer, and I don't want to go through it, because I already know the result!

My question is, do I still need to fill out the VEPIC, even though I previously had a Youth HKPID and had it taken away due to being away from HK for more than 36 months!

Thanks again

Matt
    I presume you had a juvenile HK id card ( probably applied around 97,98 or 99 period) and you have never been back to HK until now in mid twenties, hence, you have lost your ROA more than likely as result of not applying adult id card during 2005, 06 or 07

based on my experience (and confirmed cases from other overseas born Chinese), you had lost your right to abode on the basis that you only just applied adult hk id card

unless you're ethnicity is not Chinese, you won't lose ROA for being outside of HK for more than 36 months, I was only in during 93 ( applied adult id card ),96, 00 and 05, lived in hk from 07, still have roa 3 *

my younger brother had not been in HK for 8 years, still has ROA and 3&

No I am Chinese, but I was not Born in HK, nor am I a Chinese citizen. my HK ID was taken away in 2007. I have subsequently been back with my US passport. They took way away my expired Youth HKPID and told me that I had lost my ROA, and was given RTL. They also said that had I had applied for the HK Passport when I had the youth ID, I would not have lost my ROA. I was kinda of upset, so I didn't bother applying for a HKID (nor did know there was even such a thing).

At this point, I don't mind the RTL or getting the non permanent HKID. I would prefer to apply for the HK ID within one trip, and not have to go thru the VEPIC process again (though I don't think it was called that, but I remember having to produce my birth certificates, my parents, and their HK ID Cards).

I want to be able to register for my HKID within the 2-3 weeks I'm in HK in december, and not have to return in 6-8 weeks after my VEPIC has been denied...

on what visa were your parents the day you were born.
    If either one of them was on a temporary visa in the US then you possess Chinese citizenship
    ( but must proof the visa status )

MDMAMA likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    on what visa were your parents the day you were born.
    If either one of them was on a temporary visa in the US then you possess Chinese citizenship
    ( but must proof the visa status )
    My mom was a US citizen and my Dad was a Canadian Citizen with a US Green Card.

I KNOW I do NOT qualify for the ROA and I am ok with it. I only want to get an non-permanent ID card under the RTL. I just would like to do in within 1 trip. However, if I am forced to do the VEPIC process, it sounds like it will take a minimum of 4-8 weeks, and I will be forced to return to apply for the HK ID after I get the denial letter for the HK Permanent ID/Right of Abode.

Do you have any document that says you have RTL right now? If you do, perhaps that can be good enough to just do the straight HKID application?

Do you have/had a BNO passport? If you renew that you can use that go to into HK as a resident. Though the BNO itself does not prevent you from losing ROA, you can have RTL and have BNO.

You still need to apply with the ROP145 form. It *usually* takes several weeks for approval but can be quicker.
    My dad had a HKPID but had not had one since he was about 18 but still had his HK certificate of identity. He is still a Chinese citizen so did not lose his ROA. He had to submit ROP145 to prove he was eligible and was approved about 1 week after submitting his paperwork

Quote Originally Posted by Hairball:
    Do you have any document that says you have RTL right now? If you do, perhaps that can be good enough to just do the straight HKID application?

Do you have/had a BNO passport? If you renew that you can use that go to into HK as a resident. Though the BNO itself does not prevent you from losing ROA, you can have RTL and have BNO.
    @Hariball, What kind of documentation would suffice besides the initial letter (I'm pretty sure I got one, but back in 2007. I don't have it anymore.) Doesn't the fact that I previously had a youth HKPID, and the fact that it was taken away, demonstrate that I have RTL. You can only obtain RTL when you lose your ROA, which I did?

Can some thing in their system show the history of my Youth HKPID? Can I get the original documentation re-printed? It just seems silly to me to go through to VEPIC process all over again...

No I do not have the BNO, I only have a US passport. I do have the sticker in my US passport saying that all my conditions of stay have previously been canceled.

Also, another question, It's been so long since I've seen that HK ID, I don't remember my HK ID number. Is there a way to look that up?

@MCDC: Ya I was hoping to avoid the several weeks process. I'm going before a couple weeks before christmas and leaving after new years. Because of so many public holidays, I'm doubting that things will most fast...

How will HK Immigration know that I have submitted the ROP145 when i'm in HK? If i have someone mail the documentation from a HK address and/or fill it out online, how will they know? I do have an valid entry sticker (I was in HK this April, but did not realize I wanted to start this process). However, I have left and am back in the states now.

Mine took literally a few days to be processed and the outcome mailed to me. (search some of my old posts to see how long as I cant remember..I think it was 4 days or something.) I provided a shit load of information and basically spoon fed them so they could have had no doubts as to my status, though. I'm also white.

If you're there for 2 weeks you should hand it in as soon as you arrive and maybe enclose a letter saying you've got to leave soon and basically include all your documents and piece the case together like I arrived at blah blah i dont have ROA because of blahblah and here is the proof for that scenario etc.

bbmatt,

My brother went through a similar process. He came to HK on a visa then applied on ROP145 photographs were taken and documents submitted - then I picked up the HKID RTL Card on his behalf.

Basically, you have got to ask someone to pick it up on your behalf.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast