Like Tree4Likes

Teaching positions

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Teaching positions

Hi all,

I'm after some advice and guidance from anybody in HK who might be able to help. I am due to start work there in August. My girlfriend is a qualified English teacher, has a degree, teaching certificate (CELTA - pass 'B') + experience. In my native eyes, she is fluent in English, but she originates from Ukraine - here lies the problem.

We have been firing out CVs all over HK. So far, no such luck. She is very hardworking, has a 'western' mentality (no offence intended to anyone) and is super professional. I know she would be an asset.

Does anybody know any schools/colleges/ANYTHING who might consider employing her? Likewise, does anyone have any experience in this area, who could most kindly help?

Many thanks

Keep trying. That's all you can do. She will find something. If not before you come out then I'm sure once she is here and demonstrates her ability then she will find employment.

Sent from somewhere....

Thanks Virago, we will keep plugging away. An additional problem is that she only gets a 14 week tourist visa, so she's limited in how much time she can spend in HK looking around.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by discostu:
    Thanks Virago, we will keep plugging away. An additional problem is that she only gets a 14 week tourist visa, so she's limited in how much time she can spend in HK looking around.

Thanks again.
    There are quite a few people in education on this forum so someone more qualified than me can help.

14 weeks is the norm for many expats on this forum and she can get across to Macau to renew but be aware that it can still be subjected to immigration. Once or twice is very common for people trying to find work in hk.

Sent from somewhere....
    Last edited by virago; 03-07-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Not saying it is right but if she has a very Eastern European name then this may put some employers off. I know this shouldn't make a difference but it can. It's the same reason a BBC/ABC may find it more difficult to find work.

Personally, I find educated Europeans have better grammatical awareness and can work with IPA far better than a British equivalent (me).

Bottom line... keep applying, keep smiling and hopefully someone will look deeper into the application.

if she has white skin then its just a matter of time. doesn't even matter if she can't speak.

Quote Originally Posted by discostu:

Thanks again.
    Did you mean 14 days not weeks? (2 weeks).
    carang, INXS and discostu like this.

I just Google Imaged "ukraine girls"

It took me this link Ukraine girls

I think she'll be okay!

All jokes aside....if she's a native level speaker she'll have no problem. I had an English teacher from Denmark working for me for a while, she is now the NET for one of the better kindergartens in Tuen Mun...her English is native level...

Thanks all. I don't think I'll check the link, though...

I get the impression that trying to get employment for her from distance seems to be the problem, once she's here it gets easier?

Does anyone know the types of questions or proof the Macau end needs to see in order for her to renew her tourist visa?

Yes, sorry, 14 days!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast