Like Tree1Likes

HKID information

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by alexmc:
    Thanks, and yes I am aware I can only get a HKID after I am granted my visa however if my visa is under 180 days (due to my passport expiring in Jan 6 2014) I am concerned I may not be eligible. My position is full time - permanent with no end date .
    You just get your employment visa, which will likely be for 1 or 2 years, transferred into your new passport.

Claire, you need to read the whole thread.

But Alex you are still confused. I can't see how they give out employment visas and not require you to register under the Ordinance and be required to possess a HKID card. Many Grunty knows this area but my understanding is that a work visa means you must do this.

Not if the Employment Visa is valid for less than 180 days. Many people work in HK on short term employment visas. You are only required to get a HKID if the visa is for more than 180 days. Whether you are able to get one if the visa is shorter than that I'm not sure.

Again, my advice is to get the passport renewed first.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 16-07-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    Football16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Not if the Employment Visa is valid for less than 180 days. Many people work in HK on short term employment visas. You are only required to get a HKID if the visa is for more than 180 days. Whether you are able to get one if the visa is shorter than that I'm not sure.

Again, my advice is to get the passport renewed first.
    For once i agree with grunt. The priority dhould be to renew the passport.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

When I got my first 1 yr (dependent) visa it was for longer than my passport validity, but they still stamped it as a year. When I renewed the passport they just put a new visa in my new passport with the same end date as the visa in my previous passport

Last edited by usehername; 16-07-2013 at 04:25 PM.

thank you all.. I will give HK immigration a call today and see what they have to say..

I will let you know if any of you are interested.

Today marks the 6th week since my application. I am struggling but hope I get the approval to work soon.

When my passport expiration date was sooner than the visa they wanted to give me, they gave me only until the date of the passport expiration, not a day longer (actually, I think it was a month shorter). They can't give you a visa that is valid longer than your passport. You can extend it while renewing your passport, though.

A new passport before a new visa is the best approach.

Hi friends.

I couldn't actually find a number for immigration where I could talk to anyone other than a pre-recorded message so I to a journey to talk to them in person.

I forget who mentioned it but yes, immigration are actually friendly and helpful.

1. My passport indeed will limit the length of the visa they give me (up until 7 days prior to expiry) however I just have to request for an extension on the visa approx 4 weeks prior to expiry with a letter from my employer stating that my role is still valid.
    2. I can also apply for a HKID if I can show that my position will last for more than 180 days, once again I just have to show a letter from my employer that my job will still be around at that time.
    3. He confirmed that I will have to exit HK and even return on the same day to activate my visa
    4. As an additional bonus he also requested the case manager to call me tomorrow to give me more detail on where my application is at (so far have been waiting 6 and a half weeks).

Over all I am very happy I made the visit down there. I only had to wait 5 minutes in line and got all the information I needed.

I'm hijacking if with a basic question to which I thought I knew the answer until reading Samya Xu's advice on geo... I think she may have made an error.

If two non residents have a child in HK..does the child get PR when a parent does? Or does the child have to wait a full 7 years. And than, is child born here still subject to come back every 3 years?

Can a child of 2 non resident parents born in HK obtain PR prior to age 7?

Last edited by closedcasket; 18-07-2013 at 06:23 PM.