Like Tree1Likes

HKID information

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

HKID information

Hi

I am a little confused with regards to application of the HKID.

I have been to the HK Immigration website and it states you can apply for an appointment for a HKID and it takes approximately 21 days. I have also heard from people you can go directly and apply for one on the day.. These both conflict each other.

I decided to go to the dept of immigration (yay exciting) myself and noticed there was a "walk up" registration cue that stated "no more walk-ups available for today"

This only leads me to believe that if you get in early enough you can apply on the day.

I only ask this because I am expecting my work visa to be approved any day now.. Once I acquire that I would like to get a HKID as soon as possible so I can be the affidavit for my fiance to fly here for a 2 week holiday from the Philippines.

Thanks in advance

Either way, booking appointment or walk up appointment, the process will take 21 days. You don't just get it on the spot.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

Right, you can "apply" in about 15 minutes, save the waiting time. You can either make an application appointment over the phone or internet, or "walk up" to make the appointment right then and there, which might not always work as you have noticed... Also, once you get your visa, you will need to activate it by leaving and coming into HK again. (there might be another way but I am not sure). I made an appointment online and just applied today, around noon time ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by alexmc:
    Hi

I have been to the HK Immigration website and it states you can apply for an appointment for a HKID and it takes approximately 21 days. I have also heard from people you can go directly and apply for one on the day.. These both conflict each other.

I decided to go to the dept of immigration (yay exciting) myself and noticed there was a "walk up" registration cue that stated "no more walk-ups available for today"

This only leads me to believe that if you get in early enough you can apply on the day.

I only ask this because I am expecting my work visa to be approved any day now.. Once I acquire that I would like to get a HKID as soon as possible so I can be the affidavit for my fiance to fly here for a 2 week holiday from the Philippines.

Thanks in advance
    If your fiance is coming only for 2 weeks you dont need an id card. Actually she could just rock up and get 2 weeks. If you want that little extra protection you can write a letter stating you will support her stay. No need for a visa or an id card for this.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

ok I see thanks.

So I assume they can't give you your HKID number on the spot (without the card) i.e. you don't actually get anything back from immigration on the day?

ok I see thanks.

So I assume they can't give you your HKID number on the spot (without the card) i.e. you don't actually get anything back from immigration on the day?
    You do get a temporary "card"/piece of paper and you do know what your ID number is at that point. Just takes about 2 weeks for the official card to be ready for pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dankleness:
    You do get a temporary "card"/piece of paper and you do know what your ID number is at that point. Just takes about 2 weeks for the official card to be ready for pick up.

You have made my day!! Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by auss:
    If your fiance is coming only for 2 weeks you dont need an id card. Actually she could just rock up and get 2 weeks. If you want that little extra protection you can write a letter stating you will support her stay. No need for a visa or an id card for this.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Thanks for this AUS.. I have read that the pinays need an affidavit form upon leaving the pines with a sponsor . This has made my life a nightmare. I would still love to write a reference letter to try if it is the last resort

Hi

Thanks in advance
    Alex .. you are a bit confused.

What happens is that when you get your work Visa approved. An Immigration ept letter comes to you and instructs you must do and by when to register under the Ordinance and then be issued the HKID card. The requirement for the HKID registrations comes AFTER you get Visa approval.

They have all the information set out clearly in the letter you will get.

IIRC you will also upon application for the HKID be interviewed as you get finger priinted, photo and interview in a several step process to get to the temporary and then pick up the final HKID card itself.
    Last edited by Football16; 15-07-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    Alex .. you are a bit confused.

What happens is that when you get your work Visa approved. An Immigration ept letter comes to you and instructs you must do and by when to register under the Ordinance and then be issued the HKID card. The requirement for the HKID registrations comes AFTER you get Visa approval.

They have all the information set out clearly in the letter you will get.

IIRC you will also upon application for the HKID be interviewed as you get finger priinted, photo and interview in a several step process to get to the temporary and then pick up the final HKID card itself.
    Thanks, and yes I am aware I can only get a HKID after I am granted my visa however if my visa is under 180 days (due to my passport expiring in Jan 6 2014) I am concerned I may not be eligible. My position is full time - permanent with no end date .
    Last edited by alexmc; 15-07-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast