Like Tree4Likes

Would this jeopardise permanent residency?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Would this jeopardise permanent residency?

If someone were almost eligible to apply for permanent residency but delayed paying their overdue taxes to the point of having bank accounts frozen, what is the likelihood that such behavior would result in refusal if they applied for permanent residency? The amount was very low, and they paid taxes promptly in previous years. I suspect they would be denied permanent residency, but I'd like to hear it from someone with experience in this area. Thanks.

according to the govt website. Look at the BOLD section.

Under paragraph 2(d) of Schedule 1 to the Immigration Ordinance, Cap 115, a person not of Chinese nationality who has entered Hong Kong with a valid travel document, has ordinarily resided in Hong Kong for a continuous period of not less than 7 years and has taken Hong Kong as his or her place of permanent residence is a permanent resident of the HKSAR.

You must be staying in Hong Kong legally when you apply for verification of eligibility for a permanent identity card. The continuous period of 7 years in which you have ordinarily resided in Hong Kong must be immediately before the date that you apply to the Director of Immigration for the status of a permanent resident of the HKSAR.

When you submit an application, you will be required to provide information and make a declaration that you have taken Hong Kong as your only place of permanent residence. The information may include whether you have habitual residence in Hong Kong, whether the principal members of your family (spouse and minor children) are in Hong Kong, whether you have a reasonable means of income to support yourself and your family and whether you have paid taxes in accordance with the law.

Thanks wtbhotia. I guess having the tax department come after your joint account because you didn't pay it constitutes not paying taxes in accordance with the law.

@Mercury. If I hadn't been charged with an offence I would consider that I'd paid my taxes within the law...eventually.

Try your luck...

Thanks INXS. It's not me, but someone close to me. I'm wondering about 'in accordance with the law'. When you apply for permanent residency, do they look for reasons to refuse?

The important word in there is "may"; they may never ask or check....

INXS likes this.

Have they now been paid in full?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Even if it's late it's paid, right?

INXS likes this.

Not paid yet, but I'm guessing they will be before next summer, when permanent residency becomes possible. Thanks everyone.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I don't get why they just don't paid the tax that's due, as it's a small amount.

usehername likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast