Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By auss

Correct Visa Process

Closed Thread

Correct Visa Process

HI all, I am thinking this is a simple question but I got mixed answers when I went to immigration in HK

My status,
    1.I am currently in Hong Kong with a Canadian Passport on a tourist visa
    2.I am waiting for my work visa to be approved as I have been offered a position here

If it is approved and someone explain to me the process. I have been told I have to exit the country then come back in to initiate it. This makes sense whoever I assume I have to get a visa sticker in my passport before leaving?

Is this the correct process if I am currently in HK?
    1. Visa is approved.
    2. Someone from my sponsoring company goes to immigration to collect visa sticker
    3. I go to the HK branch of the company that sponsored me and collect the visa sticker.
    4. I put it in my passport.
    5. I exit the country for x hours or days
    6. I re-enter the country to activate the new visa?

Sorry, I think I am over complicating the process but I am a little confused with the different information I have received.

Cheers

2. You can collect it yourself.
    5. Get on a ferry to Macau and return straight away. (No need to waste any time there!)
    6. Yes.

Dont put the sticker in your passport until you exit hong kong. You can be the one to pick up your visa.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

Fiona in HKG likes this.

If you have a chinese visa you can exit to China and do the whole thing in a couple of hours - but Macau is the more normal route. I would not just turn around at the ferry pier, it's a fun place to spend a day!

Correct. If you have a mainland visa you can go to mainland and do it. Otherwise Macau is your best bet.

Exit and re-enter. There are no time restrictions. I let the immigration guy stick the sticker in and they make a note, date and stamp then you are all good. Further visas just extend and don't require you to leave and re-enter.

Next apply for your HKID card.

Thank you all.. Honestly the information here is much easier to get thank trying to get from immigration .. Really appreciated!