Urgent Help !!! dependent visa for baby expired without use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Urgent Help !!! dependent visa for baby expired without use

Hi,

I work in HK and I got a dependent visa for my 1 year old baby .
    The visa was approved in jan 08 and valid till nov 08.I travelled to HongKong with my baby yesterday(may 9th 08).At the HK airport ,they told me that the dependent visa has expired since it was valid for presentation only till april 30th 08.So they gave my babay a 14 days visitor visa.I am in a big problem now since I cannot keep my baby here for more than 14 days.
    I braught my baby here with plans of staying till nov 08.Do I need to apply again for the dependent visa??(Ideally i don't want to since it takes 1 month to come.)Can this be treated as a special case by the immigration depeartment??

Please help.

The only people who can help are the Immigration Department: [email protected] Tel: 2824 6111

2nd Floor, Immigration Tower,
    7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai,
    Hong Kong
    Working Hours:
    Mon - Fri
    8:45 am - 4:30 pm
    Sat
    9:00 am - 11:30am

And next time RTFM!

Quote Originally Posted by priyapravin
    Hi,

I work in HK and I got a dependent visa for my 1 year old baby .
    The visa was approved in jan 08 and valid till nov 08.I travelled to HongKong with my baby yesterday(may 9th 08).At the HK airport ,they told me that the dependent visa has expired since it was valid for presentation only till april 30th 08.So they gave my babay a 14 days visitor visa.I am in a big problem now since I cannot keep my baby here for more than 14 days.
    I braught my baby here with plans of staying till nov 08.Do I need to apply again for the dependent visa??(Ideally i don't want to since it takes 1 month to come.)Can this be treated as a special case by the immigration depeartment??

Please help.
    sorry, i cant understand much. i thought the dependant visa is valid until november 2008? then why became until april 30, 2008?

When visas are granted for overseas application they are valid for a year (or sometimes a different period) but they have to be activated (by the visa holder entering HK) within 3 months. It's different for visas that are granted to people who are already in HK and who just have a "change of status".

Once the visa is collected, the person should enter HK in 3 months time. It should also mentioned in the visa issuence letter. For your case, you can re-apply the dependent visa to your baby and it will be treated as fresh application. And sure you can get it. Pls check with immigration and they really offer you the guidence.

ive got a dependent visa, how long will i be away from Hongkong.

I don't know - how long will you be away from Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by christine2005
    ive got a dependent visa, how long will i be away from Hongkong.
    I'm going to take a leap here and assume that your incoherent question actually was "I have a dependent visa, how long do I need to be out of HK for to activate it"? If this was indeed the question, the answer is - a few minutes. Go to Macau for a daytrip.

If this was not actually the question, try again with more details!

The longest duration for the PR in HK to be away is 3 years otherwise their visa will be null and void. what about those holder of dependent visa? is it a month or what?

I don't think there is a limit is there? For it to count towards your 7 years you'd have to prove you'd been living here (eg apartment leases, employment contracts etc), but I don't think there's anything to stop you spending lots of time out of HK - work might require you to travel for lengthy periods of time for example.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast