Like Tree56Likes

Overstayed Visitor Visa (d'oh!) Part Two

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Glad it worked out OKish for the OP, as I mentioned in the other thread, a friend was less fortunate and was detained immediately.

For the record, the friend was white, US citizen, no job here, 35 years old, on and off been in HK for about a year and overstayed his visa by about 2-3 weeks.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

Thank you, HowardCoombs and drumbrake, very helpful information. I realise I've been very lucky and will keep myself better informed.

I'm sad to hear about the racial slant on immigration here. Most of the people sitting endlessly in the ID were non-white. So how come I get called out by name and attended to quickly and politely? Later my SIL said, "You're lucky you're not a Filipina."
    That's just rotten, if that's the way it is.

Last edited by KateInHongKong; 05-08-2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: double post

double post

Last edited by KateInHongKong; 05-08-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KateInHongKong:
    Thank you, HowardCoombs and drumbrake, very helpful information. I realise I've been very lucky and will keep myself better informed.

I'm sad to hear about the racial slant on immigration here. Most of the people sitting endlessly in the ID were non-white. So how come I get called out by name and attended to quickly and politely? Later my SIL said, "You're lucky you're not a Filipina."
    That's just rotten, if that's the way it is.
    That is very much the way it is and it stinks (not that I doubt it is much better elsewhere).

I do think we have to give immigration a little credit and assume they apply some logic - even if unfortunately that often includes racial stereotyping.

There is no law against being on an extended trip here, if there were they wouldn't renew tourist visas so easily. The country wants wealthy tourists who will spend lots of money, not be a burden on local services, and not try to work. It is a very grey area as to what actually constitutes residence.

A Canadian pensioner whose official residence remains Canada, and who has income in that country, and a genuine family reason for being here on an extended trip - I understand why they took a view that person is unlikely to be either trying to work illegally, and can also support themself and is probably adding to the economy by spending money here.

The other examples of people not being quite so lucky probably have different circumstances. For example, with the 35 yr old - immigration might have wondered how on earth they're supporting themself without working for such a long time? Possibly a high chance of illegal casual labour?

The senior employee who forgot to renew his work visa. Well, he was quite clearly working here illegally, which isn't grey like what constitutes residence, but very black and white.

Yes sadly there is racial stereotyping involved in their decisions. But is it really pure race, or is it just a fact that many south east Asian countries are (on the whole), not wealthy by comparison to western countries? There is a high chance SE Asians could be economic migrants who have specifically come here to work.

Yes it's completely wrong to assess people on anything other than their individual personal circumstances, but we all judge people everyday to a different extent based on what they look like. It is just the same as airport security staff paying more attention to travellers of Middle Eastern appearance, or police stopping and searching more black men in London than white women. They are making assumptions based on statistics.

That's not to say I agree with any of this, I'm just trying to put forward a balanced view of why it might be this way.

Last edited by Beanieskis; 06-08-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    It is a very grey area as to what actually constitutes residence.
    And this is precisely the problem. Because its not written down clearly, it is up to interpretation by the officer of the day. If you happen to encounter a grumpy one who didnt get enough lunch and happens not to like your eye colour, you could experience drastic change very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    I do think we have to give immigration a little credit and assume they apply some logic....
    Ha ha ha. Have you forgotten this is HK?? Apply logic? You jest surely.

@Beanieskis, very interesting and helpful post. Thank you.

Completely agree with beanieskis though if IMMD think white skinned people don't work illegally in hk they obviously don't know many white skinned people.

I'm leaving HK for Canada October 7 and will cross my fingers for a good outcome for dependent visa application. Then I can breathe better, know where I stand, and not risk doing something wrong/illegal. I want to be here, but I want to do it honestly and all above board. I thank everyone for participating in this thread (and the previous one). You've given me a lot of useful information.

virago and HowardCoombs like this.